S.U.B. Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrism2sych, Feb 13, 2009.

1. chrism2sych

chrism2sych

How about a club for those of us that have more musical taste than money. A club for MM S.U.B. owners :bag:
  2. Ezbass

Ezbass

Why not, there's a club for just about everything else.

[​IMG]
  3. yellofury

yellofury

well this certainly needs some form of resurrection
    seems these basses are being sold and traded on a more regular basis here at TB
    I will post pics when I am done with the cosmetic mods on mine
  4. allotabass

allotabass Guest

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

I wish that I had gotten a SUB when they were more plentiful....a SUB 5 would be awesome! I love the matte black neck finish. One of these pops up here & there, but when they do, I don;t have the funds....!!!
  7. yellofury

yellofury

I just got one and its my first EBMM
    I have played the Sterling, Stingray and Bongo and loved them all
    but cant afford them to say the least (not in the current economy anyway)

Active 2 band (Bass and treble boost)
    6 bolt neck
    9V active preamp
    actually let me cut and past from EBMM:
    Size 4-String 13-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 44-7/8" long
    5-String 13-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 45-1/2" long
    Weight 4-String 9 pounds 5 ounces
    5-String 10 pounds 1 ounce
    (varies slightly)

Wood Selected Poplar
    Finish Custom Music Man Textured Finish
    Colors Textured Colors Only - White, Black, Teal, Red, Graphite, Blue
    Bridge Music Man® chrome-plated, steel bridge plate with stainless saddles
    Pickguards Diamond Plate (Aluminum)

Scale 34"
    Radius 11"
    Headstock 4-String 8-3/4" long
    5-String 9" long
    Frets 21 - High profile, wide
    Width 4-String 1-5/8" at nut, 2-1/2" at last fret
    5-String 1-3/4" at nut, 2-3/4" at last fret
    Wood Rosewood Fretboard with Black Painted Maple Neck and Headstock
    Fingerboard Fretted - Rosewood
    Fretless - Pau Ferro without inlaid fretlines.
    Finish Black Satin Finish
    Tuners Custom Music Man Tuners
    Truss rod Adjustable - no component or string removal
    Attachment 6 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting

Controls Passive - volume, treble, and bass
    Optional 2-Band Active Preamp - volume, treble, and bass
    Pickups MusicMan® Humbucking

Copyright © 2003 Ernie Ball, Inc.
    San Luis Obispo, California USA. All rights reserved.

I think mine is a 2006 or 2007 because it has a compensated nut
    I cant tell because the serial number sticker was removed by the previous owner.

If the P bass was the Sherman Tank of bassdom
    then the Stingray is an M1 Abrams with the SUB
    being a Russian T-80 (solid!!)
  8. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

hiho,I have a SUB in teal,4 string,2 band active,hipshot d-tuner,had it since 03.
    I don,t want to big it up too much cause people might want one and drive the prices up .
    Some people don,t like the looks of the Sub but I prefer it,s comestics.
    Gig wise, it,s just the ticket-great sound,indestructable finish and a complete steal.
    Get a bargain-stingray sounds,made in USA for a lot less than the new sterling range.
    Do you have to think about it.
  9. trunkshope6

trunkshope6

i have an old sub along with a stingray and love the subs 2 band,makes it really easy to get a good sound live when if im using someone elses amp.
  10. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

hiho,great idea but things are very quiet,has there only been a handful ever been built.
    Totally underated and a joy to play plus the smirk factor of killer sound at non killer price..
    I think they look better than the grandads coffee table ones.
  11. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

i am thinking of getting one
  12. yellofury

yellofury

13. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

I guess most SUB owners are shy.

This is great bass. It's got a different tone from a ceramic pickup 3-band Stingray or Sterling 5: less midrange, deeper lows, more sizzling highs. If you look at the new Classic Stingray 5 bass, it's the same thing as a SUB 5: slab body, alnico pickup, 2-band, oval pickguard. They just have a nicer finish. So you are paying triple the money (compared to a used SUB) for the finish. I'll keep my SUB and enjoy it, rough finish and all.

[​IMG]
  14. yellofury

yellofury

Well that and string through bridge and mutes
    but these suckers are really built like tanks

great looking red Plucky!!!

WE NEED MORE SUB LOVE!
  15. Holdsg

Holdsg If its got strings, and sings, I'm interested Supporting Member

Bought one today! Black SUB 4 - passive Serial #X15757, with the chinzy looking diamond plate pickguard (that's the first thing to go). I am aready thinking up a name for it. Thus far, "Line-X" is in the running for now. Having no luck finding replacement SUB pickguards, anyone have any advice for me there? Find a few Stingray ones on Ebay, but they all say they won't fit the SUB. Next up might be a new bridge, but I don't mind the stock bridge. When/if I get the time, I'll post a pic. This SUB was in very good shape, and I love the tone so far, even with limited tweaking ability. Its got the Stingray tone I was after, for a whole lot less than the real deal. Makes a nice addition to the family (Squier VM Jazz and Ibanez SRX5) Happy camper thus far.
  16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

An EB/MM Factory Replacement White Pearloid fit my SUB Sterling like a glove, an I've heard the same about SR4 pickguards - the only problem is the "SUB Oval" five-string models, which are completely different (and IMO far nicer) than the "teardrop" standard StingRay 5... although now that the "Classic" SR5 has the Oval shape as well, perhaps Factory replacement versions for those will fit SUB 5s as well?

My Better Half found a fantastic deal on a near-mint SUB Sterling and bought it as a gift for two reasons: She knew I wanted a 'Ray or Sterling sound in my collection but knew it wasn't my "full-time sound" and wouldn't pay a lot for one, and that it was an awesome color, a Rust Red/Green/Gold "flip-flop" color named "Cinnamon" (which in talking to EB/MM about the D/O/B of my bass informed me that only 100 SUB Guitars and Basses were sprayed that before production was shut down, and quite possibly only 6 SUB Sterlings, so it's a rare bird as well). Once I dialed in the setup the playability and tone have certainly grown on me (although it's still not "My Sound") and it's BR FAR the easiest bass for a non-slapper like me to "slap" on. ;) The shifting of the color is extremely hard to catch in photos but shines in Natural or Stage lighting, but you can try and get the idea from these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One day I'd love to pick up a SUB SR5 - for the price I think it's a much better deal (and bass) than the "Sterling by..." line having been built right next to the $1500+ models in SLO.
  17. Holdsg

That's a sweet color, Ian, kind of reminds me of quartzite.

By the way, probably been covered before in other threads, but what does SUB stand for, anyways? or is it one of those make up your own definition? I kind of like Stingray Under Budget, but that's just me.
  18. bronzdragon

bronzdragon

I love that color. Wish I found that model before they stopped making them and the price went up.

~r~
  19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Thanks - I truly dig the finish - I have a *thing* for "flip-flops" and would have given a kidney to be able to purchase a Dargie Delight II Bongo 5-string with it's Ebony 'board, Paua/Abalone Inlays, and especially the "Caramel Apple Delight" green-to-caramel Iridescent finish. Eh, there's always the used market... and the Lottery. :bawl:

I've seen it used in literature and online as "Sports Utility Bass" which really makes absolutely no sense when you think about it, but quite honestly I believe that Sterling Ball came up with a good, fitting name for the line with "SUB", and retrofitted an acronym to fit it. IMO, that's why sometimes it's "SUB" and other times it's "S.U.B." - the acronym version came later, and so did the periods ;)
  20. Holdsg

Ian, did yours come without the control plate over the pots, or did you remove it?

Sports utility bass makes about as much sense as "Dargie Delight" or SLO Special.:rollno:

Of course, I have heard others say SUBs are so named because they are "substitutes" for the real basses. We don't like people like that, do we?:meh:
  21. Holdsg

Pictures of my new baby. All cleaned up and ready for its new pickguard. Can't wait to practice on it tomorrow night.:hyper: