1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

S U B, RAY 4 or RAY 34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jon zee, Nov 24, 2012.

1. jon zee

jon zee

Hey guys looking to buy a 2nd Bass .want a 4 string I have a 5 string euro bolt on Spector really like it . Would like another style of bass was looking at sb14 or ray34. Then I saw the SUB line is it worth the extra money to go with sb14 or ray34.. :confused: thanks for your input. Jon

2. tedesco23

tedesco23

I was in a similar position earlier this year, looking for a 4-string to go with my 5-string Carvin. After reading lots of reviews, I went with a Ray34, and I couldn't be happier. I think the consensus is that the Ray34 is almost indistinguishable from a legit MIA Stingray--most seem to say that they either can't hear or a difference at all, or else if they can, it's really, really close.

The new SUB line is definitely a budget line, though for what you pay, everyone seems to think it's a great bargain. The Ray34 is a big step up in cost, but to me, at least, it's definitely worth it.

3. Mykk

Mykk

This thread was helpful for me. It got me researching the difference between the two. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a SUB Ray4. Now I think I'll hold out and get the Sterling Ray34

4. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk? Supporting Member

Media:
    I dig my Ray34. I play it all the time at one of the local pub gigs we do. Could be a pound or two lighter, but for the price they are great and I dont have to worry about trashing a USA Stingray.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jon zee

jon zee

Thanx for the input is there any more of you that would like to comment

7. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I have a Euro 5LX also, and recently picked up a Stingray 5 to use. The stingray is now gone, and I'll be buying another Spector

Fwiw..

8. The Unit

The Unit

I have both, the fit and finish on the ray are a plus.
    The eqs are different, the subs eq is a monster, have to back the bass way down, still awesome for the money. A great player
    Keep in mind I picked up a excellent used ray34 for only $50 more than a new sub .

9. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I've had the Ray34 for about 5 months now and after several gigs and countless practice sessions I couldn't be happier. The only other sounds I feel like I could use now is a classic p-bass but even with some tweaking I can get kind of close. Get the Ray34 somehow, new or used, but get it.