S1 switch ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MoBe, Mar 9, 2014.

1. MoBe

MoBe

I just bought a 2004 American Standard Jazz with the S1 switch removed.

Do people remove them because they find the switch problematic or do they not find the parallel series function usefull.

I`m guessing it`s because most players don`t appreciate the subtle difference between series and parallel sounds.

What do you think?:confused:
  2. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

It's not to everyone's taste. Many people will say S1 in series on jazz will give the jazz more punch, and they're right. Once again, not to everyone's taste.

Pretty sure I'm one of the few on these boards who will say they like having the option for parallel wiring on a P-bass. My 2003 P came with an S1 switch and I made good use of it live. I've even added a switch to a newer P I've installed a Wilde P-46 on, just to recreate the option.
  3. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hi MoBe,

the "extra benefit" of the S1 on a Fender JB is not the parallel wiring (that's typical) but the series wiring!

Many bass players like this (and it makes sense in contrast to the S1 in a P-Bass). Maybe the switch or the pot didn't work well and so the owner removed it? Maybe a "classic lover"? But the S1 surely makes sense on a JB ...
  4. BAce

BAce

I too have an American Series Jazz Bass, 2004. The difference is not subtle at all. Very different sound, and volume. I use the S-1 switch to get close to the P-Bass thump when needed. Sometimes I use it just for a volume boost. Usually it's in the "out" position, or normal. I have heard of the S-1 switch breaking, but mine has been fine. I don't pound on it though lol. You can replace the first volume pot on your '04 with the right part, just check ebay. They aren't cheap. Or you can use a generic pot with a dpdt push-pull switch. Never seen one that wasn't a mini pot though. I added one to my '98 MIM Squire Jazz so I could duplicate what I have on the '04. I had to put a Telecaster knob on it though cuz Stratocaster knobs are hard to pull. (MIM Squires had Strat knobs)
  5. Register to disable this ad