S9xxxxx series Precision Bass 1979 or 1983?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larryelwood, Apr 8, 2014.

1. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

Hi Folks,

I just got a fender precision bass that appears to be all original. The Serial # is S9xxxxx. Fenders website says it should be 1978 or 79. However the color scheme doesn't seem right. It's black with rosewood neck, white pickguard and white pickup. The date stamp on the neck appears to say 3 15 8 3. Can't read it that clearly. Is this a 1983 Fender with a neck that was actually made in 1979 and sat around for 4 years at the factory?

Ideas?

Thanks everybody!

2. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

White pickup is almost certainly early '80s.

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Neck code is '83. Very common to see S9's right up to mid '83 and beyond.

4. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Where is the serial number? Perhaps the neck itself was made in 1983, but they slapped an old serial number sticker on it. I have a Jazz made in 1982, but it has an S8 serial which according to some sources dates to 78-79. Some folks here on TB told me that the body and neck were both likely made in 1982, but they put a serial # sticker on the headstock that had been sitting around since the late 70's. One time I removed the neck to check for a date stamp on the neck heel, didn't see anything that looked like a date so who knows? :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

This is what the Serial # looks like on my bass. This isn't actually it though. I pulled this from a thread on the web that talks about a 1083 pewter P bass with a '79 serial #, 81 pots, and 83 date stamp on the neck! So I'm pretty sure mystery solved. my bass is an '83 with a 79 serial # sticker etc....

Thanks!

[​IMG]

7. nixdad

nixdad

Check under the pickups. There may be a small sticker with the year.

We found out my son's '79 P-Bass is actually an '81 this way.