1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SA Hub MIDI question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LSMFT6, Mar 8, 2014.

1. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

So I have at least four settings on the Manta that I like and one on my H9 that I use exclusively with a Manta setting. I plan on getting a MidiMouse to utilize all these and was wondering, as someone who's pretty experienced with pedals but not at all with Midi, if it's very difficult/unorthodox to set things up between the H9, Hub and Manta.

My biggest concern is the preset that's Manta+H9 — is it just a matter of setting things the way I want on everything and hitting a "save" button on the Hub? Or is there actually a software interface setup? I'm not doing any tempo syncing or anything crazy, just getting to pedals to turn on with the same presets at once. Thanks.

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

The Manta is just that easy through the hub. You send the hub a program change, set your manta the way you want it, then store that "scene" to the hub. Midi mouse is a great solution if the hub is your only pedal.

Doing that with the H9 may prove to be more difficult. I don't have an H9, but I assume you can load presets via program changes on midi as well, but you can also do a whole bunch more stuff with midi also. The Midi Mouse only works on one channel, so you'd have to have the hub and H9 both set up to receive on the same channel, which means that every time you load a preset on the hub (Manta) you'd be sending a corresponding message to the H9.

I also don't know how the H9 works when it receives program changes when the pedal is bypassed. Some pedals (like the Line 6 M series) automatically turn the pedal ON when they receive a program change. I know that Strymon just did a firmware update that turned this feature off of the Timeline, so sending a PC to the Timeline no longer turns the pedal ON it just loads the presets then you have to send it a CC value to turn it on. The midi mouse can ONLY do program changes on a single channel, so if you have to send any CC's for the H9, you'll need to look for a different controller.

Hopefully some of that made sense. Feel free to ask me any other questions, if not. I'm happy to help.

3. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

ok, a brief preview of the H9 manual show that you can map program changes. This is good. With a midi mouse (one midi channel) you can set program changes to bypass or presets. So basically you can match the H9 and Manta to switch how you need with a little programming.

example: map H9 to bypass on PC1, then you can have the manta recall a scene and keep H9 in bypass. PC2 can be a H9 preset and set a Manta scene on PC2 to stack them. and repeat