1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SAD (Super Amp Day)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bachlover, Mar 17, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Probably one of the best days of my life. Wanted to share it with my friends on TB before I go to bed. Started playing around '69 with my cheap Raven J imitation and 20 W Silvertone amp blatting away with my buds in garages, all the time dreaming of playing one of the SVTs with the 2 fridge cabs that the rich kids had. All these years have gone by and I was finally in a position to buy my dream SVT along with the 410Cl around 11 months ago. Been playing it at church master 12 o'clock gain around 10, relatively low volume, but great sound with all my basses. Last week I got a call from my best friend from the early days who was with me in a lot of those garages. He wanted to jam along with another guitarist and his nephew who's a great drummer. 1st time I got to let the SVT along with my Roscoe Beck V loose, master full, gain 1:00, and my SVT dreams were realized today. My dream tone for 3 hours with those overdriven tubes with some great players all of whom commented on how good a tone my rig has. Had to bring my SVT home today instead of dropping it off at church, it's sitting in my living room. I've been looking at it all evening thinking of how happy I am with how I sounded, how my gear sounded, how they sounded, and how we sounded. Everyone felt the same because we're getting together again 2 weeks from today. Think I'll bring my new P5 along that day. Life feels so good today, I hope everyone who reads this feels as blessed as I do tonight.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    You never forget your first SVT. People ask why SVT lovers lug them around, and I just say, "Ever hear anything light sound like THAT?"

3. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Dude! I know exactly how you feel... And a big +1 to JimmyM...

When I first started playing, I had no idea about amps. I struggled for years and years through all sorts of high end gear: SWR, Trace Elliott etc... All the while thinking I needed to stay away from tubes... And I was never happy with my sound. One day, the bass tech at the music store downtown pulled me aside and told me I should check out the latest amp he'd got in: an SVT II - Pro, Premier Edition. I explained how I wasn't interested in tube amps, but didn't want to be rude, so I'd have a go... BOOOOM! Totally blown away. Weak in the knees from the first note, with no knob twiddling or anything, just savage beautiful blooming tone...

Yeah, I left with it. :D

Of course I had to sell it when I got married and quit playing.

The feeling never left me though, and it's the amp I went and found once I started playing again.

I hope you get to continue jammin' with your friends and crankin' that bada$$ amp for all she's worth! :bassist:

4. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

After hauling that SVT around , who needs to go to the gym? SVT's are good for your health. SVT's are good for your soul.Who needs a hose when you have an SVT. Kids on your lawn??? Crank the volume on your SVT and just blow them into the next county.:hyper:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I had a Raven and a Silvertone in the 60's as well. I wish I still had them both. They helped me learn to play and I feel blessed for that. Having an instrument that isn't easy to play and an amp that makes you strain to be heard helps develop technique both as a musician and in a band setting. They also helped me deeply appreciate the finer things in life such as my Ampeg amps.

7. jaypee

jaypee

Proud owner of one here! Congrats on that feeling!!

Was trying to sell mine.....then just I laid down 'til the feeling went away...

Pound for pound....the greatest sound around!!!

8. Alexander

Alexander

Congrats - that is THE tone. No gig it can't cover, either. Sure, it's heavy. Grab a ham sandwich and get it done...

I'm very happy with the amps I have and they aren't going anywhere. But one day, I'm going to hunt down a blueline and 810...

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Congratulations on finally owning your dream amp, bachlover!

I used to plug in to an SVT every time I made the pilgrimage to "The Vox Box" in Marshall, MO when I was young and chronically strapped for cash. I've never owned an SVT, but I purchased a Reeves Custom 225 last year. Gotta agree with Jimmy. No lightweight compares - there is no substitute for hot bottles and big trannys. :rollno:

10. RSNG

RSNG

Congratulations!

I played my first gig with my SVT in 1983, and I felt the same way. I finally had my sound. There really is nothing else like it. I've heard that other amps, even other Ampegs, are supposed to sound "close" to a SVT. But I'm not hearing or feeling it.

Mine only comes out for special occasions these days. It's heavy, but well worth the extra effort.