Saddles, String Spacing, and a Ric

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SemiDriven, Nov 28, 2012.

1. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

A while back I adjusted the intonation on my '78 Rickenbacker.

Had to turn three of my saddles around since I ran out of "travel room" to get my intonation sounding decent.

After tuning it up, I put 'er back on the wall.

While jammin' away on one of my other basses, I happened to fixate on the Ric's string spacing. Holy batman! I never noticed how a saddle rotated 180 degrees can mess up string spacing.

Any tips (other than selling the Ric, flipping the offending saddle around, etc.) on how right the situation? In other words, what would you do?

Ric_Spacing.jpg
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I had to flip the D and G string saddles on my bridge on my 1968 4001 ... It was pretty easy to do.

[​IMG]
  3. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dude...I have a mapleglo 1968 4001. I love it, but that fireglo is BREATHTAKING!!!! Could you email me a higher res pic of that? I'm thinking of refinishing a mapleglo 1981 4000 and that's the finish I want! That is gorgeous!
  4. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

In other words you swapped the saddles (eg. D to G) rather than flipping each of them around?

Nice Fireglow!
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I sold that bass a few years ago ... here's some pics ... http://www.3dentourage.com/425/68-ric-2.htm
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I rotated the D and G saddles 180 degrees. Before I did that the bass would not intonate correctly, especially the G string.
  7. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dear God, that's a beautiful bass! That's what I have in mind for my 4000. My 1968 belonged to my grandfather. There's no way I could part with it.