Sadowsky Black Label Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Robus, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Considering trying a set of Sadowsky flats on a Fender P for a variety of music, from Motown to Classic Rock.

Has anyone played both the light (40-100) and regular (45-105) gauges? Noticed any significance differences in tone between the two?

I've been using Chromes 45-100 and like the thickness and tension.

Thanks!
  2. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

Did you try the sadowsky's? I've always been a fan of Chrome's but maybe it's time to make a change.
  3. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I have both... Meds on the P... lights on my J and Reverend. love them both, but I do like the tension on the Meds a little better... as far as tone, I don't really notice any difference between the gauges
  4. deepestend

Are they worth the. $10 extra over ghs and chromes?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I like the .100 better....they just feel perfect to me....and I usually use a thicker gauge round like .105 or .110....but the .100 sadowskys just feel great.
  7. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a .40 to .100 on my jazz. That bass sounded sooo sweet. I had to sell it to fund my Adamovic wich sounded better ;)

I also have a .40 to .125 waiting for the right bass. I tried them on the Adamovic but didn´t like them, or the Adamovic didn´t like them (looking for a more modern tone here)....so back to nickels on it.

But the Sadowsky flats are the bomb.
  8. Levin

Levin

I'm curious to try them since a year or two, but tested a lot of other flats instead.
    Are they more like LaBella or Fenders? :) They seem to be like a not-so-vintage-LaBella.
    But that to me sounds like fenders :D
    Haha.
    Of course, I think fenders sound like improved chromes... that is, really fat roundwounds.
    Am going to change to flats on my main, a jazz, and am considering these again.
    Otherwise I'll go with the fender CLs as they seem to be the perfect fit otherwise... growly, snappy, fat and even tension :D
  9. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I have the Sadowsky Lights on a couple of my 5's and love 'em.

Chromes are on my fretless as they just seem to work better there for some reason. But only there.

Re: Sadowsky Mediums, I like the tension but prefer the tone of the Lights. The Lights seem snapper and growlier.

Though I wish they offered a non-tapered B (person preference). :meh:
  10. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Absolutely IMO... I've tried them all to include TIs and Labellas, and these are by far my favorite. I didn't have any problems with the TIs, but I didn't like the Chromes at all. Their tension and sound just were not for me. The Sads are made by Labella, and sound similar, but they have a little more clarity which makes them aboslutely perfect for my playing style.
  11. deepestend

Maybe I should give the Sadowskys a shot. I've been using Chromes exclusively for the past few years, but the tension and brightness has always bugged me. TIs are quality, but just too low tension for me.

Where can you get the best price on a set of Sadowskys? I've been checking the classifieds, but I'm guessing that they don't come up much for a reason :)
  12. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

bassstringsonline.com :bassist:
  13. Dredmahawkus

you described why I like Sadowsky so much! the chromes are too hollow tinny bright and the TIs are a bit too floppy...and the sadowskys are kinda like perfect. There tension is not floppy at all like the TIs but they make chromes feel like cables....to me they most resemble TIs in sound with a bit more tension....and the .100-40 set has something special about them. snappy yet full sounding...very even sounding from string to string....they sound great on my select P....they help to clear up the nasaly P bass sound and when you roll back the volume and tone a bit its nice clear and full sounding.
    I have tried them all and they are probably my favorite.
  14. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

My set are years old now and have kept their growl and clarity but gained in thump.

Amazing strings, I moved them from a J to my favorite P and they never fail to please on that bass.
  15. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I did go for the 100 Sadowskys on my P bass. I like them a lot. I'd had Chromes on and off that bass but just couldn't convince myself to like them. The Sadowskys have more body and thump but aren't too dark. Between these and the Fender 9050L on my Jazz I think I've settled on the right flats.
  16. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

I have a set of Sadowsky regular gauge flats on my '62 RI P. A very VERY good sounding string and dare I say it, much better than TI flats...(IMO the most over-hyped string on Talk bass ). The character of the P really shines through with these strings. Sounds like a bona fide 70's philly soul machine. If you play a P bass and 70's soul sounds are your thing, try 'em.
  17. Dredmahawkus

I bought a back up set for my select that has them on it.....but I might take my backup set and throw them on my standard P with old fender flats on it....I did a side by side with my 2 Ps and I know the select is a much better bass with a much better pickup...but the sadowskys just blow the Fender flats away in feel and sound!
  18. Levin

Levin

How would you compare the fenders and sadowskys? :) am going for an all-purpose sound (for a flat) on a jazz bass and have a spare set of fenders laying around somewhere, but it's fun to test new strings too, and sadowskys are nearly the only flat I haven't tested so far! Any thoughts, fenders or sads on a jazz? I think the fenders would be like fat rounds on it, but I really like LaBellas, and if they resemble those but with more clarity... :D
  19. winterburn69

winterburn69

Is the tension is similar to Chromes?
  20. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Levin,

I had Sadowsky flats on my jazz and we're absolutely fantastic. Sadly I had to sell it to fund my Adamovic. But if I get another jazz it surely receive a set of Sads flats.
  21. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the light gauge Sadowskys. No difference in tone between gauges, but I prefer the feel/tension of the light gauge set. I have them on my Pentabuzz and on my Jazz.