1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sadowsky: black vs blue label

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chef, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    So, who makes 'em, and what's the diff b/t black and blue label?

I think my Lakland JO5 came to me with Sadowsky stainless rounds...grey wraps at the tuner, and I think a small amount of taper at each end of both B and E...sound right? Nice strings, I'd like to replace them with same, when I do...
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Sadowsky strings are only tapered on the B, and only the black labels are available in extra-long. If the silk is black, with tapered B and E they are probably labella hard rockin steels.
  3. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

I believe LaBella makes them for Sadowsky, but they're to Sadowsky's specs so they're different from what LaBella puts out.

The difference I've noticed, and I've only tried the stainless steels, is the Blue Labels are slinkier and smoother to the touch. The Black Labels remind me of DR High Beams more so. Nino would probably know more about them.
  4. stretchcat

stretchcat

My experience is limited to steel strings.

The tension is lower on the Blue Label strings than on the Black Label. Both strings seem smoother than DR Hi Beams in my experience. I prefer the Blue Labels personally, but they are all great string choices.

Also, they are made by R Cocco, FWIW.
  5. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Did Sadowsky change their supplier?
  6. stretchcat

stretchcat

7. Jeb

Jeb

Bump this one for a queston. I've read everything on this forum about these strings and can't find one post or anything on the internet in general that says if the Blue labels are flatwound or roundwound? Every other comparison has been made except that one. ??? Thanks.
  8. Chef

Disclosures:
    I don't believe there are blue flats.
    you could visit the Sadowsky webstore for an easy answer ;)
  9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Black Label Sadowsky strings are available in both Round Wound and Flatwounds. The Round Wounds are bright and higher tension than the Blue Label strings which are not as bright and less tension than the Black Label rounds. Both Black and Blue Label Rounds feature Tapered B strings.
  10. Jeb

Jeb

There is no clear indication on the sadowsky site as to whether the blue labels are flat or roundwound. I'm going to assume that they come in round wound only. That was my question. What about the Tapered B string? Does that work on the Fender American Std 5 string thru body bridges?
  11. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:

Blue Labels are available in either Nickel Plated Steel Round Wounds or Stainless Steel Round Wounds only. Blue Labels are NOT available in Flat Wounds...
  12. Jeb

Jeb

Thanks! Do you know if the tapered B is the right scale length for the Fender STB 5 strings? Will it work with either the black or blue labels? Thanks again
  13. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    I am not sure the length required for your fender with thru body. I have seen them fit some but not all.
  14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

The taper will not fit a through body Fender 5 string. It wasn't for my American standard, anyway. That one had to be strung through bridge only.
  15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

For the through body basses try lakland strings or DR longnecks if you want taper core.
  16. Jeb

Jeb

Thanks for the info. Why won't the tapered Sadowsky B strings work on a Fender through body bridge? I noticed on the bassstringsonline site (great site btw) there is a note that the black label taper b won't work on STB bridges? Bummer, wanted to try those. What about the blue labels, STB OK with the tapered B? I mean I don't really need to go with the taper if I string through the top, and surely will lose a ferrule at some point!
  17. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    I have here at the shop a 2012 V dlx with sad blue and the taper fit just barely… I don't know how consistent are those instruments, tho…

M
  18. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Realizing this post quoted is 4.5 years old and was likely to be correct then, I just wanted to state that you can get XL Blue labels these days.
  19. Chef

Disclosures:
  20. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member