Sadowsky compact jazz body size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Hey guys, I did a search but the images didn't show up for this question so I'll try it here...

I'm curious about Sadowskys compact jazz body and how it compares to a regular jazz body. Some photos it looks close to normal and some photos it looks tiny. I'm 6'5 and 250 and curious if it would look tiny on me. I can play either a jazz or a precision and they look fine but smaller ibanez basses look goofy on me. Would anyone have a photo comparing the smaller sadowsky to a regular jazz?
  2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Disclosures:
    Bassist
    IF you're confortable with a full size P or J you'll also be happy with the reduced size Sadowsky bodies. Not a big difference.
  3. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

I play Fender Jazzes and when I got my Will Lee Metro
    which has a considerably more slender body than my
    Fenders, I found it to be as comfortable as any Jazz bass.

It sits in the same position and required zero adapting on my part. The slender body shape looks a lot more
    streamlined and sexier IMHO.

:bassist:
  4. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Thanks guys, this sounds vain but would the sadowsky body look any smaller that a P Bass when wearing it on a strap? I know the horns may be slimmer but is the overall size much narrower or shorter? Seeing pictures it looks similar to the size of a P Bass
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Here is a side by side of the Sadowsky 'dinky' J body and more traditionally sized J bodies (in this case, older Alleva Coppolo J body style). It is a more significant difference than the pictures would suggest (really feels nice and small on the strap), and it is, as you suggest, more similar (and a bit more compact) than a standard P body. VERY nice body style IMO.

[​IMG]
  7. Matt Lake

Matt Lake Supporting Member

On a slightly different note (pun intended), is the undersized J body smaller in size AND chambered? Or do they only chamber the regular size J body? Thanks.
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The stock NYC spec is chambered, while the Metro's are not chambered. That is one of the reasons (along with the graphite rods to attempt to reduce dead spots) that the NYC's are more pricey. The main reason for chambering is to reduce weight, and the NYC basses are about a pound lighter on average than A similarly spec'd Metro.

You will see some non-chambered NYC's from time to time if the non-chambered body meets the lighter Sadowsky weight spec (I think), or if the buyer prefers a solid body. In the past, I believe clear coat NYC colors without a fancy top were also not chambered (for example, the Trans Orange NYC J pictured above is not chambered, and still came in at 8.6 pounds), but not sure that is the case now.
  9. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

The smaller bodies are chambered on the NYC models.