1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Sadowsky Flats after TI JF344s?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by James Gibson, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hello everyone!

I've come to find that I definitely prefer flats, and I've been using TI JF344s for around 2 years now. I'm feeling like I want something more from my sound, like the mids and highs from these TI's isn't doing it for me. I really like the tension of the TI's, bit I do feel that I bottom them out sometimes. I'm considering trying some Sadowsky Black Labels.

How much higher can I expect the tension to be? I started using flats with GHS Precisions, and I didn't care for the tension at all. The TI JF344s were my next stop, so I haven't tried many varieties. I'm super concerned about the necks on my basses.

Can anyone speak to the difference in sound that I can expect?

Thanks,
    James

2. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Mar 26, 2007
    Southern WI
    Have you thought about making electronic changes to your bass? Changing the pots to increase your total ohmage may have a favorable effect on your tone, especially in the high-mids and highs. This might allow you to keep your TI's. Just something to read into =)

If you are going to try Sadowsky's, go with the lighter gauge set. Sadowsky's are typically thought of as medium-tension flats, so the difference in overall tension to the lighter gauge set shouldn't be too great. The string-to-string balance will be about as varied as with the TI set.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement