Sadowsky Flats after TI JF344s?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by James Gibson, Mar 11, 2014.

1. James Gibson

James Gibson

Hello everyone!

I've come to find that I definitely prefer flats, and I've been using TI JF344s for around 2 years now. I'm feeling like I want something more from my sound, like the mids and highs from these TI's isn't doing it for me. I really like the tension of the TI's, bit I do feel that I bottom them out sometimes. I'm considering trying some Sadowsky Black Labels.

How much higher can I expect the tension to be? I started using flats with GHS Precisions, and I didn't care for the tension at all. The TI JF344s were my next stop, so I haven't tried many varieties. I'm super concerned about the necks on my basses.

Can anyone speak to the difference in sound that I can expect?

Thanks,
    James

2. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Have you thought about making electronic changes to your bass? Changing the pots to increase your total ohmage may have a favorable effect on your tone, especially in the high-mids and highs. This might allow you to keep your TI's. Just something to read into =)

If you are going to try Sadowsky's, go with the lighter gauge set. Sadowsky's are typically thought of as medium-tension flats, so the difference in overall tension to the lighter gauge set shouldn't be too great. The string-to-string balance will be about as varied as with the TI set.