1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sadowsky Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Nov 19, 2012.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Sadowsky flats. My ideal flats set would be slightly brighter than GHS Precision flats but not as tight (or clackly) as Chromes.

Would you put these in the 'traditional flats' camp (GHS, Labella, etc) or the 'new flats' (Chromes, new Fenders, etc) camp or somewhere in between?

Also - just checked the price ($42 on bassstringsonline), dang!
  2. Luckydog

Luckydog

I use sadowsky flats a lot, as well as labella, TI, GHS, and occasionally chromes, roto 77, and old fenders. I would put the sadowskys in between Labella and chromes. Where labellas have very pronounced lows and low mids (although not anywhere near as much as the old fenders), the sadowskys are more balanced across the lows/mids/highs. Pretty articulate even when they have some age on them. The chromes have a higher mid accent to my ears. Not as much thump as labellas even when old. Id say if you're looking for something in between Labella/GHS and chromes/new fenders, the sadowskys will get you there.
  3. thatbasskid597

thatbasskid597

+1

They blow Chromes out of the water in all categories IMO. I think you would dig them. They feel great, and the silver silk is pretty sweet too.
  4. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards the 40-100 set. This will be the lightest set of flats I've ever tried, but I'm looking for a versatile string overall and I am willing to sacrifice some thump for ease of playability.

On a tension scale between TIs (0) and 50-105 chromes (100) my ideal would be something like 70.
  5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Sigma, i use the 45-105 and frankly they do not feel too tense to me. Never tried the lights so dont know how they would sound relative to the standards.
  6. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

From the the flats I've tried, I'd call Sadowsky as middle of the road tension wise. They're not as stiff as similar gauge chromes, but they not loose like TIs are. I thought they felt great. They have a bit of flat thump, but not like an old school sounding flat.
  7. strappa

strappa Supporting Member

+1 totally agree

Texturally they have density and weight, they feel like a metal string
    They have a nice thump but it's it's own thing
  8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

The treble response on the Sadowsky's are different than the Chromes. The Chromes treble voicing is higher and more brittle if that makes sense. The Sadowsky's allowed me to get a rich defined flatwound tone live emulating many of the great classic rock recordings that get somewhat muddy with La Bellas when I try to emulate. As for tension, I found the 45-105 set to be fine on a fretless with super low action but a bit more work than I like on a fretted. I use rounds in the 40-100 to 45-105 sizes depending on bass without much concerns on tension. If I were to buy a second set of Sadowsky Flats I would go 40-100.
  9. mccartneyman

mccartneyman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I agree that the Sadowsky's are somewhere between LaBella and Chromes, both in tension and sound. On my Lakland 55-94, the Sadowsky's have an added attack that worked well in the studio and live. They lack a bit of the natural warmth of TI Flats. Tension is higher than TIs, not as high as Chromes. I had the 45-105 set and found the tension just fine, whereas something like GHS Brite Flats or Precison Flats feel stiff in comparison. For me. Chromes sounded best on my Lakland JO5; didn't care for them on the 55-94.
  10. RedsFan75

RedsFan75 Supporting Member

I've got the 40-100 set on my P-bass, and love the tone and feel. They a good bit of tension, but are flexible. Not as loose as TI's not as tight as about any others I've played. Tension wise, didn't need a truss rod adjustment when I changed from LaBella FX, but felt much more flexible and easier to play.

One note... I did have the 40 break at the ball end. I hadn't played them much, as I use my Lakland the most, but I'd practiced about 30 mins one night, sat the Fender on the stand and was siting reading when I heard it go. The wire that held the ball end onto the string gave way. Probably a fluke.
  11. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

I've been using the Black Label flats for over a year now, and they just keep getting better. They are absolutely my favorite flats of all time. They fall between traditional and new flats, have a really nice fundamental with good growl. The don't get so chimey and piano-like like TIs and Chromes do, and they don't thump like LaBellas do. I've recently switched to LaBella Jamersons as that is the sound I need with my current band. If you'd like to try Sadowskys with a little less risk, PM me, and we can work something out - assuming you can use strings cut for Fender.