1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sadowsky Metro....sharp fret wires!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kenjikun, Jan 5, 2014.

1. kenjikun

kenjikun

First of all, this is not to discredit Sadowsky basses (I am a big fan even though I don't own one). I was in a local music instruments store when I saw a black jazz body 4 string Sad (probably MV4). I was so excited that finally I can try out a Sadowsky. However, I was surprised of the sharp fretwires protruding from the edges of the maple fretboards on the G string side from the 8th fret towards the body. The fretwires are sharp and protruding outward that it could cause minor cuts especially when sliding up and down the neck. To be honest, I never expected this for a Sadowsky bass knowing Mr. Sadowsky's strict quality control on his products.

Now, If Mr. Sadowsky can send me a private message, I can tell him the store name and location so he could ask his staff here in Japan to pull it out from the store before it creates some doubt on the quality of Sadowsky instruments.

Happy 2014!
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Many high end basses get fret sprout/sharp edges. Likely didn't leave the factory like that.

Just the nature of temperature/humidity changes IME.
  3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Doesn't matter who makes something, they still can't keep the wood from reacting to humidity changes. If the humidity was low where you played this, they need to increase it. Don't blame him for the store's negligence.
  4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Still, this seems a bit surprising.

I am playing my second Metro; and both have been superbly crafted and finished. I live in Phoenix, AZ; which is about as dessicated as you can get. Don't begin to ask about my battles with the upright basses. My Metros have not shown any such behavior on the fingerboard edges.
  5. kenjikun

kenjikun

I did not blame Mr. Sadowsky, NEVER, in fact, I even showed concern to him by telling what is going on with his instruments (probably due to natural causes like humidity or temperature changes as Baird6869 mentioned).
    That's is why I said I never expected this to happen in a Sadowsky bass because Mr. Sadowsky is very strict with quality.

For a prospective buyer of a $2,700 bass, do you think he will think of temperature or humidity changes as the cause of protruding fretwires? I don't think so. He'll end up buying another bass.
  6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Fret Sprout is NORMAL....once you get it fixed (correctly) it should be fixed for good.

basses are manufactured at various times of year and in various humidity conditions....they all cannot be dressed for every humidity occasion or you would have gaps on the fret board edges....you would NOT like that - would you?

A very talented luthier I know says to wait until the fret sprout is at its WORST (i.e. driest time of year)....take it to a luthier you respect...have him /her dress the frets....bingo...done.

I have done this with GREAT results.
  7. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

^ that. Fret sprout is normal. I have a bunch of new-to-me basses that are all high quality (US Lakland) and as this is their first winter with me in MN, a handful are in need of a fret dress.

That being said, a music store should dress all basses before being sold. I played a fender carbonita with terrible fret sprout... The store should have taken care of it before letting it hang on the wall
  8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

+1. I've experienced fret sprout from basses of many price levels, and even on used ones!
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

^ yeah.. this. I live in Las Vegas, which is pretty dry (it's the Mojave Desert, after all) and over the years I've gotten used to Fret Sprout. It's one of the reasons I let new acquistions sit in a propped-open case for a couple months (after a quick function check and QC). When it's time, I take them out, and tighten all the loose screws and stuff (always lots of those), and take them to my trusted luthier to have the frets dressed; which they almost always need. And, once done, it's done. Even my '94 Alembic had to have the frets dressed, and it came here from Bakersfield, for God's sake.

As a side note, none of the instruments I've bought that were made from about '88 on back , have ever had fret problems (other than refretting); just things from '90 and up. "Vintage" stuff will have lots of loose screws (my '73 Rick 4001 rattled like a castanet when I took it out after 2 months), but never a Fret Sprout problem. Wonder why...? :meh:
  10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Fret sprout may be normal but when you pick up a high end bass and it hurts you, the deal is off........ Sorry.
  11. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    That's silly, sorry!
    How can you control the weather?
    I had foderas/roscoes/sadowskys (all kind of high end basses) with frets sticking out
    The average humidity in most shop is between 45/60% humidity, but also most of the place around the world have a pretty high average humidity, but often in the winter the humidity can go as low as 15%.... You can imaging the result!