1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sadowsky Players - Tone of Single Coil vs. Humcancelling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim C, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Can you describe the tonal differences between the single coil vs. hum cancelling J style pups?
    Mostly interested with pre-amp bypassed.

A Sadowsky is on my 2014 to do / bucket list.
    In the interim, I'm considering installing hum cancelling pups in my Jazz and wonder how the two style Sadowsky's compare.
    If they are similar only in active mode, I would consider the preamp as well.

If they don't sound close, that's cool too.
    Just wanted to ask players who have owned / tried both.
    TIA
  2. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I bought a Sadowsky from Rogers shop about 7 years ago, it was a P/J, it came with a Hum cancelling J at the Bridge, when i soloed the J it DID NOT sound like the single coil "Jaco" sound i was used to on other Basses, it sounded very much like a humbucker and i did NOT like it. I had them swap the J out for a single coil, it just did not sound right to me and i dont mind a little bit of a hum.
  3. alembicbones

alembicbones

I owned a Sadowsky Metro MS-5 and still own a Fender MM5. When it came time that I had to choose between one or the other, I kept the MM5. Mainly this was because I preferred the more organic sound of the single coils. Not that the Sadowsky pickups and bass were bad, I just preferred the Fender.

Bones
  4. Luckydog

Luckydog

To answer your question ;) the single coils to me have more mids, while the HC have glassy highs and deep smooth lows. Some say they cant tell much difference, but I can for sure. You didnt ask, but I prefer the SC in my Sadowsky. Perhaps based on (IMO) they seem more suitable for rock type music, somewhat more aggressive sounding to me. My SC give almost no hum due to the fantastic shielding job the Sadowsky crew does. My PJ pups have totally different functions and personally I dont understand how someone can use a SC J pup with a HB P without some weirdness happening.
  5. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

I just received my sadowsky last week. I was worried that I was gonna really need to get single coils, but after trying the humcancelling, I like them. I dont hear the glassy highs that some seem to find, the highs on mine are sweet and full sounding, not brittle or any of that at all. Its not extra quacky sounding like jaco when the bridge is soloed, but its sounds great and full. I actually prefer it that way over most basses ive played when soloing the bridge pickup. It doesnt lose any volume or depth, just sounds like a full sounding bridge pickup.
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I've got an NYC P/J, which pretty much negates the SC thing—it is killer with either pickup soloed, and the blends are all fine.

However, if I were to get a Sadowsky Jazz now, I would go with SC pickups. That comes from playing numerous passive Fender Jazzes in the last few years with SCs and one very nice Jazz with Hum Canceling pickups. In that case, I had vintage single coils in a Fender '60s classic which I replaced with Fralin HC pickups.

The Fralins sounded great, and really made the bass quieter, as well as very much more versatile. However, two Road Worn Jazzes and a Fender Custom Shop Jazz relic have sold me on SC Jazz pickups. With the Sadowsky pre-amp? Probably even better—at least that's what I'm thinking. Perhaps I need to get an outboard Sadowsky pre-amp in my Christmas stocking?
  7. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

You really can't go wrong either way..If you play well, the listener won't care what type of p/up is in your bass.
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

+1

Oh yes! Forgot to comment on the SC vs HC tone. It turns out I really like the classic Jazz bass tones—the "full-on neck and bridge," as well as the various shades of bridge dominate mid tones: "burp," "honk" horn-like," quack," jaco-esque," etc. The HC's don't do those colors exactly the same. They are darker, or even fuller. That's all good, but I like the old school/vintage Jazz thing. It just WORKS for Country, Reggae, Slap, R&B, Jazz, you name it!

Also, I find I actually do most of my EQ from my bass when playing the active NYC P/J. With a passive SC Jazz, like my duo-tone, the amp's pre gets more of a role.