1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sadowsky Releases Onboard Bass Preamp Assembly

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassolp, Jan 21, 2013.

1. bassolp

bassolp

Disclosures:
    bass player for Cavalia
  2. joelb79

joelb79

Oh crap.... Oh I want this. Have to see if this works with EMG pickups. (Please save your comments telling me to switch pickups from something I like to buy an expensive preamp though.)
  3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

I've have one that was just installed in one of my P-J basses. It will be shipping to me in a few days. I'll post Pics when it arrives. Feedback from the builder (Ben Lindsey) is that the Bass/Treble stack pc board is not P-Rout friendly. He had to do a slot to accommodate it.
  4. Truktek2

Truktek2

looks like you have to route a jack hole in the body as it doesn't accomodate a jack on the plate.
  5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Yep... for sure... done. Electrosocket.
  6. joelb79

joelb79

Will not work with EMG pickups, as suspected. I have both J's and JX's, and the Standard Sadowsky preamp will be needed for either of those, plus if VTC would be different if even doable. The EMG X series tone pot would work for a VTC option, but the preamp disable will have to be on a separate switch instead of a push/pull deal. I kinda get the idea that this is an expensive option for me.

But this new drop in preamp is wonderful looking. It's too bad that the EMG's with the connectors already installed will not work on this preamp. That would make this a drop in replacement (Like EMG preamps) if it were not for the pot values.
  7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I wish Roger would do a drop for standard passive Fender Jazzes (with the output jack on the control plate).
  8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Why? He doesn't offer a single passive bass that I've ever seen, and the tone of his basses largely come from the active pre design.

I have installed these preamps on both of my mid-90's Fender Jazz deluxes. They sound wonderful. The leads for the battery and jack were too short, but I have made Roger aware of the issue and it should be fixed shortly.
  9. king_biscuit

You are missing my point, I would like to see a straight drop in for a standard Jazz bass (I don't care if it has a passive option or not). The pre in the photo would require the output jack (on a standard Fender Jazz) to be relocated to the bottom of the bass.
  10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You still have to put the battery somewhere.
  11. king_biscuit

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Ah, I see. I don't know that I'd hold my breath for that one.
  13. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

John Patitucci had a 4 string Sadowsky with EMG's and a Sadowsky pre. I saw it in one of his VHS tutorials he put out a few years back. Unless Sadowsky changed something his pre used to work with EMGs. Sounded really nice. The VTC was not an option at that time.
  14. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I think they would sell well. You could "Sadowsky" your stock Fender. Drilling a hole for the jack is a big turn off.
  15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

I don't disagree, but it would be a pretty dramatic departure from their current line of business.
  16. king_biscuit

Right, I think Roger would sell a lot more of them. Maybe offer two different models (the one just released and one like the Audere).
  17. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Agreed.
  18. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42 Supporting Member

...and for the Marcus Miller JB Signature owners, Roger said there is a a version of his preamps specifically made for that bass, coming up in a few weeks :hyper:
  19. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member