1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sadowsky users - where do you set your bass boost?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gladowsky, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Gladowsky

Gladowsky Supporting Member

I'm curious to know what other Sadowsky players use for their approximate settings. Of course it depends on the bass settings of the amp but if you were to play through headphones and hear nothing but your bass at approximately what setting is your bass control knob?

I used to set mine at 20% but now put it at about 30%.
  2. SilkyStrings

SilkyStrings

I use my Sadowsky passive on almost all gigs. It seems to sit in the mix better. I also favor the neck pickup as it sounds both fat and growly.

If using the bridge pickup, for example on a song that needs that burpy tone I boost the bass by around 30% max.
  3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I don't really boost mine more than 10%.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Same for me. It's boosted just ever so slightly usually.
  5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I start with it flat (full counterclockwise) and roll just enough on that the low notes sound satisfyingly deep without being boomy.

(Dang, that sounds like wine-tasting blather...)

+1 to the comment above, that leaning on the bridge pup seems to want a touch more on the bass eq.
  6. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Preamp always Bypassed
  7. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

Wow guys...really?
  8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I'm about the same. Slightly more if I am favoring the bridge pickup, but usually just enough to fatten up the note without overpowering.

By the way Mike, do you still have a Sadowsky? I seem to remember you selling your Will Lee 4. For some reason whenever I see posts by MikeBass I always think "hey that guy plays a Sadowsky!" ;)
  9. Ebelow

Ebelow Supporting Member

+1 same here, sometimes use it only if I need more bass in my tone, mostly at headphones rehearsal trough DI, but never boost more than 10%
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I rarely do headphones, but at home I usually prefer active with 20-30% bass boost, treble about the same for rock. Motown with flats I might go for a little more bass (depending on the flats I'm using), and treble rolled back with the VTC.

My MM style Sadowsky is the exception. For a MusicMan style sizzle I sometimes boost treble and bass to 40-50%.
  11. Biggbass

Biggbass

I love the passive tones from my Sads but love the active tones even more.
    Set on active the bass really finds it's place in a live mix and notes seem to have more clarity to my ears. I use approx a 20-30% boost on either bass or treble depending on the room.
  12. Tullykennedy

Tullykennedy Supporting Member

Not even a quarter turn for me.. The Sadowsky pre:) it is my tone.. The best
  13. Tullykennedy

Tullykennedy Supporting Member

Probably about 10 %
  14. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

It doesn't sound like a Sadowsky until the bass and treble are boosted 20-30% IMO. It took me a long time and 2 different Sadowskys to figure that out. I used to believe the "right" thing to do was start totally neutral and boost a little low end if needed. Using this method the basses never really sounded that special or felt that responsive. But once I relented and tried boosting the bass and treble equally I found the Sadowsky sound. YMMV.
  15. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Originally I used to boost 40- 50% on both bass and treble until I read a post here: Now I boost the bass slightly (10-20%) depending on the room and keep the treble flat or slightly boosted depending on how new the strings are:

Important thing is the volume control: When it is turned up (to about 85%) the pickups come alive and treble sings, and that nice fat bottom end is there. If you boost too much, you are scooping your sound and the low mids disappear. Good for slap, but bad for cutting through a mix

Only caveat is I used to like to have the volume control at about 60-70% full so at the end of songs I could swell and create a huge ending, now I can't do that (don't want to add a volume pedal). But it's worth it, as my tone has improved dramatically
  16. Gladowsky

I'm with you on this. The more I have experimented* the more I find that the meaty tone (beef, of course) starts around the 30% area (active). Treble up about 70% and loving the vintage tone now at about 40%. Of course - preamp eq also contributes.

*I have found that I set the tone adjustments with a fresh set of ears - having not first gone through several different adjustments for that day. The next day I would make another adjustment and use that for the day. My ears play tricks on me when too many different settings are used too soon. Hard for me to explain but that is how I have arrived at the tone I like. Proof? I've gotten many more complements on the sound of my bass than ever before.

Volume is always at 100% (I use my fingers for dynamics and an EB volume pedal for fade in/outs).
  17. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

I'm typically about 25% Treble, 27% Bass. Pan towards bridge pup for pizz, neck pup for muting, mid balance for slap and plectrum. Use the VTC mainly to adjust for new strings.

GREAT preamp.
  18. asbs

asbs Supporting Member

+1

needed a couples of gigs to figure out how to use the bass set up.
    After all depends the music I play, and where I play it.

19. StayLow

StayLow

I've never done that, and since most are ignoring that part I'll answer in general too. It depends on so many variables but if anything I'll have it up very slightly, 10% or less, and sometimes I'll boost the treble or just go passive. Often I'll have the passive tone rolled off up to 25% too.

Ash/maple, old stainless strings, playing from classic rock to mostly old-school r&b, funk and reggae on an NYC JJ. Nothing bright and sizzly about it.
  20. Gladowsky

Thanks for the reply.

I had put the "use headphones" out there to take the preamp settings out of the equation. Regardless, I'm surprised at the number of "slight boost" or 10% boosts that were mentioned. Of course - headphone quality varies too - I use Sony MDR-7506 that I like a lot.