1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Safe strings for a Harmony H22

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheDialog, Oct 25, 2012.

1. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

What strings are safe to put on the H22 without messing anything up?
  2. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

3. DavyR

DavyR

The H22 takes LONG scale strings yet the bass has a SHORT scale neck. Anytime one changes the strings on any bass things can happen due to differences in string tensions. Anything with medium to light tension should work. Being an old bass adds another variable. I'd stay with sets that have a 100, or better yet, a 95, on the 'E' string, and, no Pyramid flats, IMO.
  4. Cutty

Cutty

I used to use Rotosound swing bass on mine,back in the day,i bought it for £17 with a crack on the back of the body,it never got worse and i used it for many gigs and recordings,wish i still had it!:crying:
  5. DavyR

DavyR

IMO, the H22 is a cool retro bass but not great. It was a cheap starter bass back in the day. I'll probably sell mine down the road as I thin the herd. It has a very deep fat low end that's a bit unique which is probably why some players like them and use them for certain sounds. It's not a practical all-around bass. The crappy little 'guitar' tuners are usually replaced. My 1966 is all original and in great shape with what appears to be the original strings. The strings are as dead as can be. I'm afraid to remove them! Ha! I found it in a small town music store in SW PA a few years ago for $400 with no case. (Visiting the town was like traveling back in time. I was putting nickles and dimes in the parking meter! Ha!) It was hanging on the back wall in the dark corner of the store all by itself. Must have been a closet dweller. The super cool store owner knew what he had but said that he couldn't see asking $900 for it. Let's hear it for small town music stores!
  6. atomicdog

atomicdog

I played an original H22 in a funky used guitar store today. It was kinda rough shape; it had a bad short. The guy wanted $600, which seems overpriced. Great neck though and even acoustically it sounded great.
  7. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

I have light guage Chromes on mine and they are sweet sounding, the extra high mids come through great as the PUPs are surprisingly wide range and bright.

Be aware that the rosewood saddle notches are very narrow.
  8. Robal

Robal

I recently put Thomastik flat wounds, with .100 E, on my 1965 H22 and they sound and feel very good. I haven't had them on long enough to decide if I prefer them to the black tape would LaBellas that were on it before, but I like the feel of the Thomastik a bit more.
  9. iiipopes

iiipopes

If you want some growl to go along with the vintage feel, Fender 9050CL set will work: 45-60-80-105. As set forth above, the H22 has a short scale neck, but the string anchor is at the bottom of the body, so they take long scale strings. This reduces the tension on whatever set is used, so just about any conventional 45-105 set will work well.