1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Safe way to clean adhesive from tortoise pickguard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by John Bigboote, Feb 18, 2013.

1. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

I just got a NOS Fender tortoise pickguard, and when I pulled the film off it left a bunch of adhesive residue. Anyone know if it's safe to clean it off with Goo Gone, or will that soften and muck up the plastic?

Thanks,

-jb
  2. BrenBass

BrenBass

Lighter fluid or WD40 will work.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Naphtha is what the pros use; it dissolves gummy stuff but won't touch plastic or guitar finishes.
  4. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Vinegar might also work dandy.
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Motzenbocker's Lift-Off, available at ACE Hardware.
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Naphtha ... it's what luthiers use. Ronsinol lighter fluid is naphtha, and won't hurt your finish.
  7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

If it is just the adhesive, Goo Gone or Lift-off will work fine, also WD-40.

Naptha is great if you can find it - it is also perfect for cleaning the goo off fingerboards - what my luthier uses.
  8. walterw

Oh yeah, you can't get naphtha in Cali anymore, can you?
  9. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Most adhesives used for film/stickers/etc is not dissimilar to chewing gum. And, just as peanut butter gets gum out of hair (it's the oil - not the peanuts) oil breaks down adhesive. Can't imagine it would hurt plastic in any way. I'd go lightly, though. You probably don't want any oil creeping under the pickguard.
  10. walterw

Yeah, but then you'd still need the naphtha to get the oil off of everything when you were done!
  11. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

12. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

Just did this on my fury pick guard. Once I warmed up the sticker with a hair dryer and removed it, I saturated the leftover adhesive with liquid wrench (wd40 won't smell as bad). let it soak in for 5 minutes or so and gently scrape the glue off. I used a paper towel. wash the pick guard in soap and water. GTG.
  13. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Naptha is very similar to: Stoddard Solvent, Paint Thinner ( not lacquer thinner) Lighter fluid, BBQ starter, and many more products. Do not let any product to "soak in" to he pickguard any longer than necessary. Not all pickguards are made the same.
  14. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

... did you happen to get the NOS nitrocellulose tortoiseshell guard that the guy has several of up on eBay right now?
  15. tmdazed

tmdazed

Simple rubbing alcohol and a cloth, WD will soften plastics