1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Sam Ash can`t get it right

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fourstringsonly, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

So I know this girl who does the setups at Ash locally. She said she would adjust the Fender Squier Jazz Vintage Modified for me so I can really test it out. She called me tonight and said she can`t get it to do what it`s supposed to do. Low action buzzes,,when she raised it,it`s too high etc,.. Is this possible,,or does she just not know what shes doing?

2. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Maybe she is neglecting the truss rod, and only doing the bridge? It might be a QC issue with the bass, however.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

No, she is right.

They aren't all as bad as the next one though, try again. Unless you are referring to the fretless model, than they all have raised fretlines so you get fretbuzz from the plastic lines they insert as markers.

4. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

No,,it`s a fretted model... maybe I should stay away from that model all together?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Yes, to a virtual certainty. Sounds like trussrod adjustment is needed, at least.

In addition, there may be serious fret or warp problems.

If she knew what she was doing, she could give you an exact explanation of the problem, not this "I can't make it work" stuff.

:rollno:

Most people who take money to do setups are only marginally less ignorant of the process than a new owner. Seriously.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't avoid the fretted ones, they are a top contender in their price range in my opinion. Just try another one, they aren't all total lemons. If you are looking for top shelf finishing and fretwork, look elsewhere. They are still a budget line at the end of the day.

8. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

If she knew what she was doing she wouldn't be working at Ash. It's like buying a slice of pizza at Wal Mart and calling it Italian dining. Find a privately owned full-line or specialty music store and go that route.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

I don't have huge faith in those guys, either.

I've been on too many repair/maintenance forums with "experts" at "real" shops who aren't materially better off...and very few who are. :(

It's not like this stuff is rocket science, but it takes some intelligence and analytical common sense, and these people just don't have it. Never mind the tactile sensitivity to detect when you're wrecking something instead of reaching for a bigger hammer or a breaker bar.

People just unthinkingly repeat what they've been told, or read in a two-page setup booklet, and I'm talking about guys who are making their livings more or less by screwing up other people's instruments with their $15 guitar clinic setups or $100 shop setups that amount to the same thing.

10. jordak

jordak

Was she the store's guitar tech, or a salesperson? If she was a salesperson, you should ask her to have the tech "SPR" (store property repair) the bass and call you when it's done.
    If the bass is unplayable because of manufacturing defect, Fender will authorize a return.

11. jordak

jordak

12. ricknote

ricknote Supporting Member

Some instruments are just buzzy. Nothing you can do about it.
    I remember a Fender Strat that we leveled the frets, tweaked to death to no avail. The strings even had this weird orbit to them that you could see. The instrument would just warble in your hands.
    Just odd.
    I've also had cheap Squiers that set up beautifully and played great.
    Every instrument is unique.

If she can't dial it in, dump it. It's likely a troubled bass that might find a home with an upright player with strong hands, high action and heavy flat wounds.

13. Bobster

Bobster

14. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    frets my need leveling, you could have a high fret.