1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sam Ash setups

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by schwitters0, Mar 30, 2014.

1. schwitters0

schwitters0

Hey I was wondering if anybody takes their basses to Sam ash to get setup? I bought a bass there a little bit ago and received a free setup with the purchase. If they really don't do great setups anyway, it couldn't hurt to atleast try the free setup, nothing could really go TOO wrong right?

Also, could anyone refer a good place around Philly to get service on a bass?

Thanks!

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

It all depends on who you get. There was a guitar tech at the Sam Ash in Queens, NY who knew his stuff. I have also seen stuff his colleagues and done that I would wish only on my worst enemy. I would suggest you go in and ask to play a similar bass that they have set up. While it should never happen, a bad tech who thinks he/she is good can screw things up pretty badly.

3. fabubass

fabubass

Depends on where you go. Every bass at the Sam Ash in Coconut Creek Fla. are set up so you can go out of the store and straight to the gig.

4. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

I would think that if you bought it from Sam Ash, Sam Ash should have set it up before it went out the door.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Waldo19

Waldo19

As with any store it's going to depend on who works there. You'd be better off trying to get into about the specific Sam Ash(s) in your area rather than the chain as a whole. Ask around and see if their guitar/bass departments have a good reputations or if there is a particular guy you should seek out.

That being said, In general I think Sam Ash has a better reputation when it comes to set ups than guitar center on the whole. For what its worth the Sam Ash in Amity, CT has done some solid work setting up and restoring some guitars and basses for my dad and me over the years.

7. tbear1776

tbear1776

Sam Ash has very well by me, both with guitars and basses. I currently do most setups myself. Some really good vids on you tube. Just take it slow and easy.