Same thing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Feb 17, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

So a precision bass has a single coil pickup and a tone control.

Jazz bass has two single coil pickups. To replicate a p bass sound on a jazz bass, can't I just use the neck pickup and my tone control and be done with it? Same thing, no?
  2. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    A precision bass has a split coil pickup.

You can cop a pretty convincing P vibe with a solo'd neck pickup on a J, but no, it's not exactly the same thing ;)
  3. dls119

dls119

Not really. You have to factor it pickup position, type of pickup (split coil, some Jazzes have humbuckers), type of pots, etc. If you select the neck pickup of a Jazz bass and roll off the tone, it will sound like you selected the neck pickup of a Jazz bass and rolled off the tone. Although I'd say that 99.9% of (audience) listeners won't notice any difference. Why do you ask?

/I have both, I like both, so no dog in this fight.
  4. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

If it is close enough for you then it is close enough.

I find the Jazz neck pup a bit more....pointed.

The P bass seems to occupy a wider sonic space.
  5. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Because I don't want to buy a p bass since I'm happy with my two jazz basses, one of them being a geddy. I figured why not just try to replicate a p bass with one of my jazz basses and with a bass driver from sansamp.

Really don't like forking over $300-500 for a bass when that could be used for pedals and an amp. :p

I used to own a MIA p bass but the neck was like a block of wood to me.
  6. DogBone

DogBone

No, no no no no and no. :meh:

Will taping a pie plate to a Precision make it sound like a Jazz?

No, no it won't. :)

Rolling off the tone, putting cotton in your ears, duct taping a pillow to your speaker, while any of these things may suck the life out of your bass tone, it won't magically make such a bass "sound like a Precision".

I really am curious as to what kind of music on must listen to to lead to this type of conclusion regarding Precision tone? :confused::confused::confused:

For me, when I think Precision I think of this:

Precision tone is certainly heavy low-mid range kick assery, but c'mon, it is anything but lifeless! :cool:
  7. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

I own multiple Ps and Js and my opinion is the P does not sound like a Jazz with a neck pup solo'd.

But ..I have a Jazz with Seymour Duncan Quarter pounders and when I have the Sansamp pedal on it does come close. Close, I say, but still not quite a classic split-coil P sound.

All IMO.
  8. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Sounds like you need to add an S-1 switch to your Geddy...
  9. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

It's not far off from a Precision's sound at all. The noise you'll have with that single pickup though...
  10. David Jayne

David Jayne

Part of the P bass tone comes from the wide, flat coils. Opposite of the J bass pickup design. It matters.
  11. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

The 2 split coils of a P pickup combined together have a higher output than a single (normal) Jazz pickup.. almost double. IME, a hotter wound J neck pickup in the 9-11K range sounds closer to a stock P pickup (which averages in the 10-11K range) than a normal J pickup does (in the 6-7K range).
  12. dabbler

dabbler

^This. A J is a J and a P is a P, but when I want to approximate a P vibe with my Js, I put my J pups in series (which is the main reason I do a series/parallel mod on all my player Js).
  13. Wallace320

Wallace320

Even the '51 P with lone single coil is not copied by Jazz neck pickup soloed

Pickup matters, so does the neck

Even if both are alder (not necessarily the case with an old P) or, considerin' a Squier Classic Vibe, both are basswood body, neck dimension matters.

A veritable Precision (or wannabe: look at Yamaha Attitudes) needs a chunky neck, coupled by a single coil pickup, or single
    splitcoil pickup, placed in the proverbial "sweet spot", to roar like a Precision must do.

A slim Jazz neck doesn't combine with its front single coil to do that

You can come close - and analogic pedals like Bass Driver D.I. or Vt-Bass help you to - but the relevant result is not equal.

My must have bass should be an alder Jazz bass body (for it's
    the larger) with a Precision 1,75" neck (for it's larger) with dual splitcoils in place of singles (say it with me: "for they're larger")

That would bear both bite of Jazz & sheer power of Precision

Cheers,
    Wallace