1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sammy Hagar (Eddie Van Halen on bass) - Winner Takes It All

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Here is a song from the 80s that I did not know Eddie Van Halen played bass on it. This was the theme song for the Sylvester Stallone movie Over The Top.

Sammy Hagar - Winner Takes It All

2. JimK

JimK

I have a Guitar Player mag from that time frame...Hagar & EVH on the cover: Hagar has a guitar, EVH is holding an Ibanez bass (IIRC).
    http://www.ioffer.com/i/van-halen-sammy-hagar-guitar-player-magazine-1987-153498799
    Wow, some pinhead wants $31 for this!?!

Anyway-
    The article is mostly about Hagar's solo album (although EVH is also present at the interview)...Hagar blows so much smoke up EVH's arse, it's funny...if Edward wasn't the best guitarist on Earth, he would be the best bassist. Stuff like that.

3. mcm

mcm

Eddie played all the bass on the Sammy album that cam out around 90?ish. I think the title was just Sammy Hagar.

4. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector

Bass is a Spector (pretty sure) and the album was called "I Never said Goodbye"

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcm

mcm

Oh yeah you are right

7. mcm

mcm

Been awhile

8. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Yep. It was a white Spector. I remember being pretty annoyed by it at the time. (I was a teenager. Everything annoyed me at the time.) But I just remember thinking that with all the "real" bass players out there, why would they slap him on the cover holding a bass?

9. joebar

joebar

i have that magazine.
    it is pretty common knowledge that ed played bass on every VH album to some capacity.

10. oboylebass

oboylebass

I absolutely DO NOT believe this. Who said this? As far as I'm concerned, this is an urban myth.

11. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

If that's true than he's a pretty crappy bassist! ;)

12. mcm

mcm

Why would u say that? It's rock and roll.