Sammy Hagar on Michael Anthony: EVH never appreciated his talent

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Apr 6, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

He's playing his ass off in this band [Chickenfoot]. He never played like this in VAN HALEN. Eddie [Van Halen] doesn't even realize what a great bass player he had. I think he never realized it, and that is his complete loss. I remember recording in VAN HALEN, Eddie was always saying, "Just play eighth notes." And he would play all this stuff, and Mike's just going, "boom, boom, boom, boom." Boy, Mike's really capable of playing more than that, and he never found out.

So Mike and I, one time, we're in Cabo San Lucas when we were in VAN HALEN — say probably around '89, '88 or '89, when we were still loving each other, and having a good time — and Mike was in Cabo jamming and doing a live broadcast from the Cabo Wabo for some album network that I think used to be around that would do live broadcasts. And Ed is listening to it on the radio, and we get back and he asked me who was playing bass? He went, "Yeah, yeah, you guys did 'Crossroads' by CREAM," and he goes, "Who was playing ****ing bass on that?" I'm saying, "That's your brother right over here." That was Michael Anthony on the bass. And Ed goes, "Yeah? Yeah? Yeah? Yeah?" And then he'd smoke a cigarette, take a hit off a beer and go, "Hmmm." But, he didn't get it, you know? But Michael has been tearing it up on this record.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I read where he would offer different options on playing songs and he would get "nah, just play one note..."

3. StayLow

StayLow

Worked very well for those songs. Busy isn't always best.

Funny, I was just admiring his restraint and economy yesterday on some of the classic VH material. Maybe I should've given Eddie credit for that? :)

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I was never a fan of Michael Anthony's playing. He is average at best. I wish I had his singing voice though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    I've seen several interviews with MA and he seems like a really easy going, humble guy. I bet he probably didn't care if EVH knew how good he really was. Maybe he just figured if they don't want to utilize him for all he can do, it's their loss.

I really think MA is a fantastic rock player and was held back by VH musically, but maybe MA realized from the start that the band was really all about EVH's guitar playing. I think his 8th notes do help to make EVH's playing stand out just that much more, so maybe he thought the simplicity fit the music better.? Whatever the case, I think he was smart enough to know that he was living a life that only a select few in this world get to, so putting up with EVH's ego was still better than digging ditches or playing in crappy clubs for peanuts.

Personally though, I think MA and EVH could have been more like JPJ was to Page, and I can't see how that could have ever been bad.. especially seeing what he can do with Chickenfoot.

7. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I personally like and appreciate the way Michael Anthony plays and sings. I've seen interviews where he is very humble about his abilities and doesn't speak poorly of EVH. Michael Anthony is a "class act" and I'm glad that everyone has the opportunity to witness it.

carsbybigd likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Average...LOL! OK, so he ain't Stanley Clarke, but who cares? Does what's needed and can sing his ass off.

carsbybigd likes this.
  9. shaboda

shaboda Supporting Member

To Anyone that thinks Mikey is average or less than a pro player....

PLEASE listen to "Seventh Seal" or "Poundcake", and tell me that's not a professional player. That is NOT easy to play like that, with consistent tone and attack. I have always given him much props.. he just happened to play with EVH, and any bass player is going to be overshadowed by that fact alone, including his son.

carsbybigd likes this.
  10. patrickm

patrickm

The role of our chosen instrument is to support,to not stick out, like it or not. MA is to Van Halen as Chris DeGarmo was to Queensryche. Once the both left their respective bands they never quite.recovered.

11. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I think if you make the big show regardless of what the public hears or sees there has got to be something special that only a few have seen. Just like sports.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Plus he's loaded

13. dreads311

dreads311

I always knew there was more to Mr. Anthony's playing. A band like VH hiring a hack on bass wouldn't make sense. I think he's under appreciated to say the least.

14. Not yet

Not yet

Was never that impressed myself until I learned better. Don't really know what coukdy have been more fitting on that first album..... Definitely could have been mixed louder though

15. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

^^^This^^^

I saw an interview with him once talking about his bass solos. He basically said "what am I going to do on a bass to impress musicians after Eddies guitar solo?" So I add a lot of weird effects, played my Jack Daniels bass & ran around the stage making a lot of noise and people ate it up. He also stated he really liked to go jam at small little blues/jazz clubs where he could play outside the box and let loose. This made him a very rich man who has traveled the world many times over. You think he cares one bit some people (not me) on TB think he's a hack? I don't think so.....

16. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Bass Player: locked with the drummer, and did honor to the tunes.

Plus, some great background vocals.

And stage presence.

And keeping it together while gigging with some world-class prima donnas!

So, what's not professional about THAT?

I see so many posts questioning Michael Anthony's professionalism…and suspect it's from a lot of folks who have sour grapes because they think they could do what he did, but better.

Are they TRULY certain that's the case? As some poster said above, he's not Stanley Clarke, but that was not the gig!

Don't know why the same criticisms leveled at MA would not apply to so many other bassists in so many other bands…and probably with as little justice as with MA.

So he anchored a guitard visionary…it is what it is! Gonna rag on Tommy Shannon because he wasn't matching SRV note for note?

People…get a life…and appreciate competence and professionalism when you see it.

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Besides restraint, vocal ability, and professionalism....he got the financial part under control during the "money flood". THAT is VERY smart.

18. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

MA is a true great. Underrated?? maybe. But not in my book. +1 on the sour grapes theory.

19. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

I had the pleasure to meet him....the coolest guy on the planet!! he is an AWESOME bass player!! trust me when i tell ya!! the man can totally Rock!!

20. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Why would Sammy Hagar want to change anything in the first place?

21. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

could it be that maybe he actually improved post--VH?? The guy is my age so I would like to think that there is always room for improvement. I always liked and respected him in VH.