1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

[SAMPLES INSIDE] Music Man Sterling 5 H

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supercolli, Nov 14, 2013.

1. supercolli

supercolli

Hi to everyone,
    with this topic I’d like to report about my recent purchase in Italy, a black Music Man Sterling 5 H. I’m referring to the American Sterling, to not be mixed up with the more recent series of Sterlings by Music Man.
    I’ve spent almost an afternoon in a local shop (located in Tortona) testing various basses without any pressure or real urgency. I’ve made some direct comparisons with G&L L2500 USA and Warwick Stage 1 (1987 edition) since I do like active basses. To be completely honest I’d have never imagined to buy the Sterling before entering the shop, that was real case of love at first “check”.
    I found the neck extremely comfortable with my play style, maybe the better I’ve ever checked, and the factory set-up was really well done (great action without fuzzes), this caused a sort of WOW effect when I first put my hands on the bass. Great feeling. The sound is very aggressive to my hears but also deep on the lows by tweaking the pots, perfect for my genres (funky, rock, and jazz-funk). It took quite few minutes to get familiar with the controls and to find at least three different very good sounds.
    Maple neek and ex-demo conditions. Immediately bought.

Here I attach some audio samples, made by playing with Reaper and virtual drums instruments.

Selector in serial position and lows boosted. This is a finger style song. I used a Maxon CP9PRO+ compressor before entering the audio interface. The solo track uses a chorus and is lightly overdubbed by a pitched line (implemented in Amplitube 3 VST).
    Incognito - Smiling Faces
    Now a slap song, only the Maxon CP9PRO+ in the chain and the TBP-1 virtual amp (Amplitube 3 Fender suite).
    Jamiroquai - Mr.Moon

Now the selector is in parallel position. Again a slap song and the same line chain mentioned above.
    Lee Ritenour - Night Rhythms

Let’s conclude with another fingerstyle sample:
    Incognito - Still a friend of mine

And now a couple of pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Musicman20

Musicman20

I LOVE the Sterling 5. Nice bass.
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Congrats - I LOVE my Sterling 5 HS...

- georgestrings
  4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Congratulations! I think my Sterling 5 H is the best sounding, feeling, and playing bass I've ever held in my hands.

Just FYI, I tried to listen to the tracks you posted and it wouldn't let me do it without signing into Myspace (so I didn't listen).
  5. supercolli

supercolli

I'm glad to read such great opinions about that bass, feeling is the word that better explain my first impression jamming on this bass.
    Thanks SturartV, I've just changed the sample provides to soundcloud, now it should be accessible.
  6. StuartV

I listened to your clips. Your playing and the bass sound are both excellent! And I feel the same way about your sound as I do the sound I get with my Sterling. I think fingerstyle sounds best in Series mode, and Parallel mode gives the best slap sound of any bass, ever!

Oh, and you should know the rules by now. No pics, no bass! :D
  7. StuartV

ps. the slap sound is why I like the H model best over the HS or HH. Those other 2 do not have a Parallel mode like what the H model has. So, to me, Series for finger style and Parallel for slap means the H has the best sounds of all the Sterlings.
  8. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

Very nice! Big fan of maple fingerboards on Musicman basses. I really love my sunburst/maple Sterling 5H and wouldn't trade it for anything.

We've been multitracking all of our jams with my new original band and I'm super happy with the recorded tone straight out of the bass. Fingerstyle, parallel, EQ flat. Now if I could only play it decently. :D
  9. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

I'm not a big fan of the HS or HH Musicman basses. They are versatile but don't quite hit the classic "single humbucker in parallel" MM tone, which is what attracted me to them in the first place.
  10. supercolli

supercolli

I agree with your view, slap in parallel mode is definitely a killer sound! Btw, I still have to completely understand how, and if, to use the pickup selector middle position, it looks more like a solos sound (which I generally don't do).

PS: I've originally put two pics in my first post, can't you see them?