1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sandberg and Lakland Jazz too clean sounding?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Mar 7, 2014.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

My long, erratic search for a good Jazz bass is finally close to a purchase. Having given up on inconsistent and mediocre Fenders, I was struck by the "open", smooth sound and extended top end in both Sandbergs and now recently Lakland (my first encounter with that brand).

So how do they cut it on stage? I am used to the thick lows and slightly dirty mids from Fenders. Those basses work very well, soundwise in our power trio. Mix is not busy, but I generally gave a deep-ish, clean tone with less emphasis in the "bark" and top range. You will still hear that I play roundwounds, but I keep it slightly mellow.

Will the "sweet" tone in the Sandberg or Lakland (Skyline 44-60) add nothing or even work against a good mix for us?
    We play Hendrix, John Scofield, John Mayer, SRV etc.

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

You can always add grit...tough to take it out though (unless you have a parametric eq).

Your Lakkie and Sandberg should be just fine. Solo the bridge, turn up those low mids on your amp, and let it rip :)

3. DannyBob

DannyBob

+1.

You can always change the EQ either via amp or by a Preamp DI box to get a tone that works.
    Good luck :)

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Thanks guys! Do you have personal experience of gigging these basses?
    They are not super common over here and I have not seen them being played in any genre similar to what I play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. flojob

flojob Supporting Member

I was playing a skyline dj4 for a while. 3 peice jazz rock thing. cut through great. id boost the low mids and cut the highs. balnce toward the back, but not totally bridge. sounded great to me. through a GB shuttle 9.2 and a couple 10's. cant say enough great things about the build quality and the neck. traded for a marco bass because i like trying different flavors, and cant afford to drop lots of money to support my habit, so i trade. no fault of the bass though.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I've never been able to connect with a Sandberg. They're usually elegant, well built but I don't "feel" them. The tone is always somewhat bland, not alive. Grit can't fix that.

8. xroads

xroads

Same here. My (good) Fender Jazz has something no Sandberg could ever give me.
    I recently bought a Lakie DJ5, which is a bit better in that respect (despite the 35 scale). The PUs are a bit more on the Fender side, I believe.

9. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I am glad that more people chimed in!
    Seems you share my impression, even though I just played the Sandbergs in shops. Slightly "sterile". Maybe it is pickups and preamp, which I would be happy not to replace in a brand new instrument.
    The Laklands seem more "Fender-ish", the great Fender I never found. The 44-60 even FEELS like a Fender Jazz Bass Special to me...