Sanding a headstock?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by prater, Jan 2, 2014.

1. prater

prater Supporting Member

Sanding the satin finish and logos of my project bass

Would you use a sander like a rotary or finish sander, or elbow grease?

I was thinking 600 grit or does that seem about right?

2. Meatrus

Meatrus

You don't say the purpose of the sanding, is it to remove scratches? Difficult to advise, but you most definitely wont need anything more than a sanding block and paper....not even elbow grease (it'll be very light work unless you're trying to remove all finish from it)

3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

600 grit is going to cut thru fast.....sand it by hand and wrap the paper to fit the neck as you want it to sand evenly.

Otherwise you could sand thru.

I follow up with 1000 grit and then 2000 grit, followed by 0000 steel wool.....makes a perfect feeling neck!

4. prater

prater Supporting Member

Good point. I'm sanding it down to prime and paint it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

If you need to get to bare wood, I would start with 80 grit and an orbital sander. Work your way up to 220 before putting a sealer on. Scuff the sealer coats with 320 and then put the finish on.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

No, you absolutely do not need to take it down to bare wood. The finish already on the neck is a very good, level sealer coat. What you are suggesting will take a lot more work and time. And using an orbital sander with 80 grit will more than likely leave a very uneven surface after the paint is removed.

Just scuff the finish with 320 or 400 grit until all the shiny parts are removed, clean the surface with a grease and wax remover, and then apply the finish.