1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sanding acrylic finish and applying gloss, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DeWe, Feb 19, 2014.

1. DeWe

DeWe

Hi lads,

I am having my first custom bass made, by my favourite luthier. When delivery was due, he came up with few problems.

According to him the acrylic finish is taking way too long to dry then it supposed to on flame maple top. Here is the photos taken full 2 days after acrylic was applied (according to him again).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So my questions are;

1- After mild sanding to the bass you see above, would the result be good? (There are plenty fingerprints on bass atm as I can see)
    2- Is it normal for acrylic finish to take 2 days to dry? Or is it kind of delaying tactic?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Drying times of different finishes can vary. If your builder says it is not dry yet then I see no reason to doubt him, especially after only two days.

3. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

If it is Acrylic Lacquer, it could take 3-4 weeks. Two days is too soon for almost any kind of finish.