1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sans Amp Bass VT DI bought!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by songwriter21, Sep 23, 2013.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    Hey All,

Just grabbed one of these from LA Bass Exchange (via Ebay), and it should be here in the next few days. This will serve as my backup/amp-less rig, because the DI with the power options, along with the "BITE" and speaker emulation on/off, attracted me as sort of a do-all solution. Our band uses in-ears, so a cab isn't crucial, hence the cab emulation, which will be used. I'll also use this at gigs where my main rig isn't needed (small acoustic gigs where I can use a simple wedge from the DI sound).

So, what do you all think of this pedal? I'll have my bass going into a mute, chorus, a midrange pedal (my Warwick only has a 2-band eq), and then the Sans Amp. I've heard nothing but great things about the previous VT versions, and the added options look ideal.

Thanks for the input!

2. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Im thinking of selling mine.. .

3. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Care to elaborate??? I'm on the fence about my Bass Driver and was considering the VT Bass DI myself.

4. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Its different than the VT bass v1... Thats all . I really dig the VT bass.. and im used to it..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

If its anything like the V2 the one with the speaker sim defeat it should be good. It sounds like they expanded on version 2 & added more options like the bite switch/ blend. I'm looking to get one of these myself as I miss it. I couldn't get along with the 1st version, I had to cut too much treble so it didn't sounded harsh up top.

7. nyangsw

nyangsw

Hello!
    How does the blend work?
    If I set the blend at minimum.
    Will the EQ on VT Bass works?
    Or just the original bass sound.

B7K, the EQ is located after the Blend, so setting this control
    at minimum, the B7K can be used as a clean 4 Band EQ/DI.

Is VT bass the same as B7K ?

8. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I too am trying to get used to this new one. Coming from V1 to DI, (I sold my V1), I remember my sound being richer. Of course, it could all just me in my head.

Im still playing with Bite and Speaker to see where they fit in to the sound.

9. songwriter21

Disclosures:
    So I finally messed around with my new pedal last night...wow, LOTS of tone variety. First off, the LOW knob is mucho powerful, and is what kind of makes it not that preferable using this pedal through headphones, BUT doable. I had to dial it out completely, and also from my bass's eq, then I could dial in everything else. I'm not sure if the pedal's eq works when BLEND is down all the way, but I'll try it later and get back to y'all. The MID is nice and effective, and actually sounded great flat, with my bass's mid flat, too. I did boost it, and got more oomph/punch, and will see if I need this live. My sound through my cans is pretty close to live, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The HIGH adds glassiness, so I only use a tad, and find the treble on my on-board eq as more to my taste, since it doesn't amplify the string squeak as much as the pedal. It doesn't take long at all to get loud with this pedal! The CHARACTER knob not only gives the DRIVE (amount of character) it's flavor, but also serves as a mid-frequency, which is how I look at it. You can get crystal-clean politeness, all the way to a full-on distorted buzzsaw sound...again, lots of overdrive possibilities. Since I haven't used the DI yet, I can't comment on the Phantom/Ground Connect switch, but the +10 db swtich for the 1/4" output gives a hefty boost, and the DI -20 db switch tames a hot signal nicely. What impresses me most about this pedal, besides the CHARACTER knob, are the BITE switch, and SPEAKER SIM switch (has a speaker pic and not words). The BITE isn't a bright switch like I thought (before researching), but a presence and filter effect. It does a really noticeable job of making your strings sound really clean and tight...much more hi-fi, I suppose (think Geddy Lee clean). This comes in really handy when going gonzo on the DRIVE, so your tone doesn't get sloppy. It also cleans up your sound for higher-register chords, and even lower ones, too. Lastly, the SPEAKER SIM is awesome. I don't think I'll ever leave it off, as it really brings a nice, round, full, and warm quality to the whole end result. Tech 21 did a good job of imitating the smooth boom of a wall of speakers, so even more of a reason to go easy on the LOW knob, although you could get some NASTY over-the-top earthquakey thump by being generous with it. I'll probably end up setting my on-board bass eq back to flat, and dialing in enough low from the pedal to the point where it almost distorts just a touch. Lastly, the on/off switch isn't a "hard-click" type, and more of a "momentary" switch. The pro of this, is that it's ultra-quiet and super easy to activate, and not cheap-feeling. The con, is that someone else on stage could easily tap it, and turn the pedal off. Thats about the only "gripe" I have at this point.

All in all, I'm pretty happy so far, and will give a second report after trying it live this weekend.

10. songwriter21

Disclosures:
    Here's a pic of my settings:
    (again, remember that the LOW is off because of headphones)

Attached Files:

11. Rabidrasbora

Rabidrasbora Supporting Member

Got mine a couple days ago...it's whisper quiet, clean and crisp--and for the most part is everything my V1 was, only improved smartly (and with a blend!). I too noticed the effectiveness of the LOW button, and it's LOW voice is much preferred over the V1. Most of the high/glassy clank is gone as well. I tried both active and passive basses, realized the VT DI is very sensitive to rolling back the tone on my passive bass (exaggerated the muffled sound in an unflattering way).

12. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Before you send it back try the Fliptop setting assuming that is in the manual like previous versions, also try turning off the brite switch. That was my usual starting point with version 2 with the speaker sim defeated, reports on this pedal say the bite switch gets rid of some of the frequencies that the sim defeat did on version 2. You might want to try rolling the blend back some as well.

13. father of fires

Shouldn't the in-ear sound match your headphone sound?

14. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Don't sweat it, if its anything like the other versions you'll find some good useable tones. Like I said that fliptop was always a good starting point. I never pushed the lows or treble past 12 oclock, the eq is powerful & a little goes a long way.

15. Handyman

Handyman

Markbass cabs are actually voiced in an incredibly mid-heavy way. Their amps have a ruler flat frequency response when their EQs are at noon, but their cabs are very much do not.

I had similar issues when using my VT Deluxe as a DI and using my Markbass combo as a stage monitor - what I heard coming out of my cabs had WAY more mids than what was getting sent to the board.

I ended up resorting to this procedure when doing this.
    1 - Adjust VT to have a sound that works nicely with FOH
    2 - Tweak EQ on my amp to get something that sounds tolerable for stage monitoring purposes

16. father of fires

That's actually how sansamps we're designed to be used.

17. Handyman

Handyman

Oh, sure. I was just pointing out that getting a good sound both out of a bass amp with a fairly strongly colored speaker cab and FOH isn't necessarily the easiest thing on earth.

Another option is to run the "parrallel output" from your VTDI into your amp. It will send a totally clean signal to your amp, and is meant for situations like this. If you've already got an IEM setup, this might work.

18. songwriter21

Disclosures:
    Okay, so here's what's all on the table regarding my setup. First off, I don't agree with or understand how my cab can be mid-heavy, because the sound that I normally get coming from my amp (GK 1001 RB-II), is the same with my in-ears AND the PA's sound (have heard live recordings). Plus, as good and as picky as our soundman is (imho, one of the best), I would think he'd have a system that's as flat-frequency as possible. So, all of this is why I thought that, because I dialed in a great sound coming out of the cab, from the pedal, that the in-ear sound would sound the same (like my amp does). I still have a feeling that it was an overload of "boom" or "roundness" from the speaker sim button combined with the mic'd cab.

19. Handyman

Handyman

Interesting. Which cab in particular are you using?

20. songwriter21

Disclosures:
    Markbass Traveler 102P

21. songwriter21

Disclosures:
    Here's another thing-I used to have the Aguilar Tone Hammer (sold it when I was poor), and it, too, sounded identical with the cab, PA, and ears. Just wondering, if the speaker sim experiment doesn't help, if I should just sell this and get another TH.