SansAmp as a Pre-amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BJMtz, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BJMtz

BJMtz

The Bass Driver DI manual gives 2 applications with a bass amp rig: as a stomp box and as a pre-amp. I've always used it as a stomp box, teaking the EQ on both my amp and the SansAmp to get a tone I like. My rig is set up as bass-Big Muff-Aguilar TLC-SansAmp-amp.
    If I run it as a pre-amp into the effects return of my amp the manual says it will bypass the tone-coloring pre-amp section of the amp rig. Does this mean my amps EQ will no longer be utilized?
    Does each application yield different tones? What's the advantage if any of doing one way over the other?
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

You can set it up to replace your amp's preamp or to be used along with the preamp on your amp. Different strokes and all that. Try it and see if you like it. I personally prefer to use it as a pre, bypassing the pre on my amp. My EQ is after the pre so it still functions.
  3. chaunceyjiggson

chaunceyjiggson

I've tried it as a pre before and I didn't prefer the tone. It was good it just didn't have the balls that it seemed to have when I ran it as a stomp box. Just try both and see what you like better.
  4. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I like my sound better using it as a stomp box.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I was using BDDI the other day straight into an XTI and needed way more drive than I would normally to get enough volume out. It surprised me as I thought all Crown amps operated fine from BDDI. It was a cobbled up rig for impromptu birthday jam in a bar. Mostly classic rock and stupid loud so extra drive worked out fine. Maybe the brand new off brand battery powering the BDDI was a dud.

I digress. I can drive my Trace easy as through the effect return with BDDI but some bass amps probably work at higher level / lower sensitivity at the power amp input.