Sansamp Bass DI just saved my butt

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Darknut, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

At a New Years Eve Gig and my rack preamp just bite it!

Sure glad I have a Sansamp!

Never fails .... I just spent &400.00 on pedals and I have equipment failure ..... Perfect!

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Murphy's Law dude, anything can happen on a gig. At least you had a backup plan.

3. Yango

Yango

Ugly Bassplayer said it. Murphy's law. You may not believe it, but you'd better respect it!

I keep my setup as simple as possible. It's not going to prevent anything from breaking down, but it certainly makes it easier to troubleshoot.

4. ugly_bassplayer

Yep, last gig , one of my pedals crapped out seconds before starting the 1 st song, I had to trouble shoot the entire board (8 pedals total) in like 30 seconds, find the problem & take the pedal out of the chain.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That sucks. How come they never crap out at soundcheck? Only seconds before they announce you.

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Murphy has a warped sense of humor.:D

8. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

Started our first set tonite, could hear my bass thru FOH and monitors but not outta my rig. Thought, Crap, my Streamliner 900 finally let me down. And the one time I forgot to load my Markbass F1 as backup as I always have done so many times before. I turned all the knobs up to full on, never, ever needed to do that before. Still, no sound outta my rig.

DOH! :scowl: I did not have the speaker cable into cab all the way. Big Fail on my part. Fixed it and rig ran friggin great all nite, as usual and we had a great, tight show.

Yeah, my middle name just might be Murphy now. :rollno:

Happy New Year TB Pals. :bassist:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Wow, tonight must have been disaster night. My stuff worked, but I kept having problems balancing out volumes and tones with upright and electric. I just switched up a couple pedals in my rig, and I think I'm going to switch back.

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

The very reason for everyone who plays with PA support should have at least some independent DI in their bag, if not always in their signal chain.
    Granted, it usually is like limping through a tar pit, but the gig as a whole will be saved.

You don't say...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/le-maitre-red-devil-schematics-anyone-944729/

My rig performed flawlessly as always though :).
    Knocks on wood...

Regards
    Sam

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Smoke machine? Hippie!

:D

12. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    Actually had a good gear night tonight! Been having issues with my GB Shuttlemax 12.0 just cutting out every once in a while. No problems tonight, though! Happy and properous new year to all of TB! :hyper:

13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Guilty as charged.

Not playing exactly hippie music ATM though ;).

At least the question wasn't about a failure of those psychedelic oil-gobo projectors of the past...

Do have a few of those as well around somewhere. I think :bag:.

Regards
    Sam

14. murphy

murphy

Bwah haha!!

Yes....Sansamp bddi saved my guitarists life

But......he never thanked me????

15. ugly_bassplayer

He should buy you a beer at the very least.

:bassist:

16. jad

jad

I just picked up a Rolls PM351 to add to my IEM set up and used it for the first time this past weekend. It was giving me some problems with distortion on the mic and instrument channels. I limped along for the first set with just the FOH mix in my ears. I was troubleshooting between sets, switching between preamp out, fx loop out and tuner out on my head, when all of a sudden, the drummer clicks off the first song of the second set. I guess no one noticed that I was busy, and since I had my IEMs in, I didn't hear the rest of the band come up on stage. I ended up playing the entire second set with my amp effectively off, FOH only. Sad thing is that no one in the band noticed that my rig was silent until I told them. They did say it sounded a little thinner than usual!

I've considered getting a BDDI for the day when an equipment failure leaves me high and dry, but given this experience, I think the passive DI I already have will be enough of a safety net.

17. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Duhhh!
    A couple of weeks ago I played the first song of the second set with the mute button pressed on my preamp. I could hear myself in the FOH mix, but it took most of the song to realize what was wrong with my stage sound.

18. chadds

chadds

Don't need a backup head or DI if I bring a good smoke machine.