1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sansamp Bass DI or Radial J48

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slpbass81, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Hey Fellas,

I need to get a DI box as most venues I am currently playing at have issues with my Ampeg SVT Classic DI. I am playing a passive Fender American Jazz Bass into an Ampeg SVT Classic head. I currently have a Sansamp Bass Driver DI sitting in my office. My question is can I use that pedal going parallel output and use it as an active bass di box without affecting the tone coming out of my amp? If I am doing that, should I leave the pedal on the entire time, and will adjustments on the pedal affect my tone coming out of the PA? How will this option sound compared to buying a Radial J48?

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Yes you can. Parallel output is an unaffected signal.

If you want your BDDI to sound like it's on, leave it on all the time. If you want it to sound like a regular active DI a la the Radial, turn it off. And yes, when switched on, the adjustments you make will also be relayed to the PA.

You'll have the option of having a sound like the Radial or the affected sound of the BDDI with the BDDI.

That said, the only way I could see any soundman having a problem with the output of your SVT-CL's DI is if you use a very strange EQ or make a whole lot of volume and tone changes through the gig. It's a quite excellent DI if you ask me. So what are their complaints?

3. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

This is exactly what the BDDI was designed to do.

Send a tube-ish sound to the house and let you send an unaffected sound to your stage rig.

4. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

It has only happened at larger venues in the past like the House of Blues and theme parks. I always forget to ask after the show why they switched it from direct to DI box. Now that I got the 212AV I will be using it at smaller gigs where we do our own sound so I will be able to play with it. I just wanted to make sure I would be safe with the Sansamp as a backup and did not need to go buy a DI box. I always like to have a backup option for all of my gear at every gig.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Or more specifically perhaps, send a tube-ish mic'd amp sound to the house and send an unaffected sound to your stage rig.

And as stated, with it switched off you have a quality, unaffected DI.