Sansamp Bass Driver + Boss ODB-3 overdrive help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thufton, Jan 1, 2014.

1. thufton

thufton

Hey guys I was wondering if somebody could help me out, in running a three channel Sansamp bass driver with a Boss ODB-3 and I'm getting a terrible buzz out of it even when my noise suppressor is on. When I run both pedals by themselves there's no excess noise, but as soon as I run them both I get the problem.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Set the pedals gain stages so the first isn't clipping the 2nd. And, you shouldn't need a noise suppressor if everything else is set up properly, including using clean, isolated power for each pedal.

3. thufton

thufton

Would you suggest running the sansamp or the ODB-3 first?

4. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I would put the ODB-3 before the SansAmp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

I run my ODB3 into my SansAmp BDDI with awesome results, and virtually no noise, as has been said above, be sure to have them on isolated power outlets, I power mine with a Voodoo Lab PP2+, but there are more than a few power supply choices out there.

7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    How are the pedals being powered?

8. thufton

thufton

Right now just with a 1spot and a daisy chain until I get paid and get a pedal power 2, I was thinking that could be the cause of some of the noise but I'm getting a lot more "white noise" than I expected.

9. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    What is your exact signal chain? Have you tried powering the pedals all by battery and seeing if the noise persists. There is a certain amount of noise that is normal when running distortion. If you are running the Bass Driver with distortion and then run the ODB-3 with distortion into it you will increase your noise level.

Distorted sounds are never noiseless. Even using a noise gate, it gates the noise when you stop playing but the noise is there once the gate is released. You just want to make sure that the signal to noise ratio is at an acceptable range. This means that although you might have some background hiss when playing with distortion the overall signal level is much greater than the actual noise.