Sansamp Bass Driver (mid control content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jessicabass, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Thinking of getting one of these used on CL but i hear that the mid loss on them is big.
    Is there a way around this?
    Could i boost the mids on my amp to reclaim them?
    Do the VT pedals sound the same but with mids?
  2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Lowering the bass knob and treble knobs will allow more midrange frequencies to come through on the BDDI. Keeping the blend knob below 5/10 will help retain the sound of your bass and will be crucial to keeping some midrange in your tone. On the other hand, the VT Bass has more midrange to start with. For a clean tone with some edge, the VT Bass is the way to go. You can do much heavier distortion with the VT Bass if you wanted - much more than the BDDI can put out. For a more midrange scooped and edgy tone out of the box, get the BDDI.

No matter what, these pedals will heavily color your tone - for many, this is perfect. The VT is much more versatile in my experience, while the BDDI is edgy or compressed and warm sounding with little to no midrange.

Can you add midrange back to your tone - you can try, but if you ever turn off the pedal during a show, your stage tone is going to be loaded with midrange.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Take a label-maker and print one that says "Mids". Place it over top the "Level" graphic. Use it in conjunction with the bass & treble for a 3 band EQ.

As mentioned, the blend level will have significant impact, as well.

Riis
  4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Or... just get a para driver.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jessicabass

jessicabass

Wont lowering the blend knob that low just make the pedal pretty much useless by not coloring your tone?
  7. jessicabass

jessicabass

Is that sarcasm or truth?
  8. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

No it will blend in more of your original tone with its original mids. The BDDI has a HUGE range of effect and is ripe for fine tuning. That's its strong point. But people bring a BDDI home, plug it in, crank everything and then whine about the scoop. Then they sell it and watch for its mention so they can spend hours making sure that everyone knows that they hate the BDDI. Yay.

Asking this question is pretty much useless, though. You need to just bite the bullet and get one and work with it for a while. The BDDI has its own sound and if you're interested in one then I would recommend not worrying about the lack of mid EQ and just accept it for what it is. You will either keep it or you won't.

The BDDI is pretty awesome if you learn it, imo. But its up to you. :)
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

This is true. If you'd like more presence in the mids, boost the level slightly and attenuate the bass and/or treble if necessary. I generally don't run the blend any higher than 2:00. The Para Driver would be my first choice (I use the rackmount RPM) but, alas, that is not what is being offered via the OP's local CraigsList. Edit: Oooops.....you're the OP!

Riis
  10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Exactly! :bassist:

When I owned one, I used it as a edgy distorted tone - any time I used a pick, the BDDI came on. It had a great crunchy tone with the blend fairly low and I did not lose too much midrange when I set it properly. After trying the VT Bass, I did not want anything else. More mids right away and I was able to get the distorted grind I was looking for.
  11. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

I own one and maintain my mids by using some of the aforementioned tricks, such as keeping bass, treble, and presence at or below noon and the blend around ten o clock. I never have the gain above 12 either, I feel it turns the bddi a bit more into an overdrive/distortion.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1
  13. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

The Para Driver is not just a BDDI with a mid EQ, so I would advise against the 'BDDI has no mid EQ, Para does, get Para' mentality. I was unimpressed with the Para and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my BDDI for lots of reasons, many time I use it very mildly.
  14. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Sold a BDDI a yr or 2 ago for this very reason. Tried all the tips everyone's suggested: lowering the treble and bass, lowering the blend but could not a get a sastisfactory sound that wasn't scooped to my ears. I like the classic P bass low mid bump but i found the BDDI coloured it so much i lost everything that i liked about the P tone. I actually preferred a straight uncoloured DI to using a BDDI. Definately worth a listen first before you buy
  15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I had the exact same results. I didn't care for the BDDI or the paradriver. I found the OD sounds to be very artificial sounding with an almost gated/fizzy decay, and the clean sounds too scooped. I spent A LOT of time with both of them and neither one worked well for me so they're both gone and I don't miss them at all.
  16. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

17. jessicabass

jessicabass

are the vt pedal and bass driver the same sound wise but just with mid control?
  18. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Buy the pedal and try it for yourself. Everyone on here is going to have their own opinion about it. I love mine, others obviously don't. If you don't like it, it will be very easy to resell.
  19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

That's my experience too. The para sounded a bit too artificial somehow. I like how the BDDI colors my sound, and don't have any real gripes about loss of mids.

On a lark, I picked up a Leeds character pedal. Love it. No DI tho, obviously.
  20. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I love the BDDI ... that is all
  21. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

You know it was designed to sound line a 70's ampeg tone. Kind of a mid scoop sound in that. That's what it does best.

Eeeesh stop the whining over a device that works like it supposed to. Want that sound? Buy it. Ya don't? Run away from it.

How any threads are there about this very topic?