Sansamp BDDI vs VT Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Better_Sense, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Better_Sense

Better_Sense

My band is recording soon, and I've been looking for a pedal to help me achieve this kind of tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bULD5EDWvV8

I've been looking at those two pedals, but other suggestions would be welcome. I'll be using an American Jazz Bass.
  2. HarmonicBass

HarmonicBass

I bought the vt pedal recently and you'll get this tone with a small bit of tweaking no problem
  3. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    I´d choose the third option. Go direct direct!
  4. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13

I think either will be able to get that tone... I'd advise you to listen to clips that portray the versatility of these pedals, and base your purchase on the other tones available & the other tones you'll be needing/using.

(Disclaimer - I own a VT Bass, don't own the BDDI anymore)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Better_Sense

Better_Sense

Thanks! I think the only other tone I'd go for with any frequency would be a slightly thicker, more distorted tone.

Kind of like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEdU9vC3mOU&feature=related
  7. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Sansamp BDDI vs VT Bass

-----------------------------------

The sansamp has presence knob ... The VT bass has a mid knob.

In my opinion a mid knob is more useful for a bass guitar than a presence knob.
  9. Better_Sense

Better_Sense

Cheers!
  10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I've been agonizing over the relative strengths and weaknesses of the BDDI and the VT bass for weeks, including far too many hours listening to youtube demos with my studio monitor headphones on. Plus, I've owned two SansAmp BDDI units in the past. Here's what I think.

The VT is going to give you a slightly warmer, richer retro rock sound. It's got mid control and it's got a defeat switch for the cab simulation. Basically, it sounds better and is more flexible.

The SansAmp is no slouch, either. It has great emulation of old retro tube rigs. The overdrive is good when used at low levels, but tends to not sound as good as the VT when you turn it up higher. It does not have a mid control, nor a cab simulation defeat, which means you'll always have that scooped mid sound with little way to get around it except to turn the effect down with the blend knob. Still, this pony does it's one trick with aplomb and it has a great DI plus a parallel out--really useful for both live and recording situations.

Either will work pretty well for what you're trying to achieve. The VT has warmer grit and more flexibility with regard to tone. The SansAmp does it's one retro amp sound very well and has some technical features that you may find really useful.

I guess it would be easier if I just told you which one I think you should get. Well, I can't do that. But I can tell you that I've owned two SansAmp BDDIs and I'm currently pining for a VT Bass pedal.

Good luck.
  11. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

I'd definitely go for the VT Bass in this case, with a fresh set of strings you'll have no problem getting that tone.
  12. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13

I feel like this thread is starting to show a reoccurring theme...