1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SANSAMP HELP! :D

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JoshSmith, Feb 19, 2014.

1. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Yes I know there are other threads on this but I can't find what I need. I wanna know some settings you guys use for your Sansamp BDDI. I also use a rat pedal. I wanna get a tone like this.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spgvPqhYjzU#

I also have a Schecter Diamond Jazz bass and peavey tour 700 head and a ampeg svt810 cab. Thanks!

2. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

The bass is easy to hear in the first 5 seconds of that song.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Set your amp to the "neutral" setting (don't cut or boost anything). Set your Gain controls properly, don't boost at all off the bass, and have the volume all the way up on the bass. Amp head volume to be moderate. Run your bass straight into the BDDI and then to your amp. learn how the unit colors your sound before adding anything else to the signal chain.

Key things about the Tech 21 BDDI - Bass and Treble at noon is not flat and has quite a bit of midrange scoop built in. Rolling those knobs below the noon setting will bring midrange back into your tone. The blend knob - too much of the BDDI will result in a heavily scooped midrange tone. This can work in some cases, but in too many cases, sucking out the midrange (400hz-750hz) will make your bass disappear in a band setting. Try different settings of the blend knob and see what is does to your overall tone.

I would love to give settings for the pedal, but what works for me is NOT always going to work for you. Our playing styles and the type of bass we are using, other effects, overall band sound and so on....it's all different. I rather tell you how the unit works rather than tell you what to set it as. I think it will be more helpful in the end.

4. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Also what do these switches do? I'm not to familiar on what they do. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392838126.549400.jpg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

RTFM, it's your friend, and the Tech21 manuals are brief and to the point.

The short answer is that if you are using this as a stomp box for tone (as opposed to recording direct or going direct to front of house), those switches don't matter as much. I would put the switch on the 1/4" route over to "Inst" though.

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sometimes you'll get a ground loop when using the phantom power from FOH. In that case use a battery and turn off phantom power/ground switch. The other switches are for level.

8. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

I have the deluxe version so i have various settings saved. Mainly, i have bass and treble at about 10 o'clock, as previously stated, both at noon is not flat. The blend knob is important b/c it also dictates the amt. of mid scoop (and drive), which is inherent of the pedal. I normally have it between 9-10 o'clock. Presence rolled off all the way, and then each saved setting has a varied amt of drive in the signal. Bass knob is centered at 80hz (pretty sure) and treble is at 4k (also pretty sure). Knowing whatever head you're using will help, like what is the optimal flat setting and where each knob is located eq-wise. I also use an MXR 10-band to help filter out unwanted frequencies and to try and throw some mids back in, though it doesn't have 800hz centered anywhere.

Based on that sound you're going for, I'd say it sounds scooped to a degree, so getting that type of grit probably won't be too hard, though in a live mix you may have trouble hearing yourself.

9. SoCalBassman

SoCalBassman

10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    A couple of things. On the Bass Driver DI, when the bass and treble are at noon the EQ is flat. The confusion is that with the blend at 100% the SansAmp circuit has a midrange dip. This is intentional as the Bass Driver is emulating a specific sound of a vintage tube amp.

The problem is that the pedal was designed to be used for direct recording into a flat response mixing console. It can be used into a bass amp but if you already have a mid-scooped tone dialed in, this will make the midrange of the Bass Driver sound overly scooped. Our SansAmp's are designed to emulate the sound of a mic'd vintage tube amp and aren't designed like a typical overdrive/distortion pedal.

It's best when going into the front end of an amp to set your amp for a more neutral tonal response or plug the SansAmp into your amp's efx or power amp return to bypass your amp's preamp.

You can also turn down the bass and treble controls on the SansAmp to bring back the mids, reduce the blend to bring back more of your original signal or cut back on the presence control.

If you still find you need more midrange control, our Para Driver DI, VT Bass DI and original VT Bass will be a better choice as they offer more midrange flexibility.

GreggBummer likes this.
  11. Swift713

Swift713

I guess there's flat and there's flat.