1. Register your FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Sansamp power amp set up?'s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RUDEONTOUR, Nov 30, 2012.

1. RUDEONTOUR

RUDEONTOUR

Mar 29, 2007
    phoenix,AZ
    i have used sansamp preamps for years, thru traditional heads (g-k 800rb & SUNN1200s) and a few power amps, which is how i plan on continuing, and would like to hear some opinions on best power amps at an affordable price ($700 and under)
    i am running 2 cabs, a g-k neo 412 and a madison mab 412

2. Less than $700 can pick you up a nice power amp on the used market. Check out Ebay and Craigslist.

I picked up a cheap used power amp to get me out of a jam, a couple hundred bucks found me a Behringer Nu6000DSP. Fed by an Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp, I used it that weekend for a series of shows and have played countless rehearsals and several shows with it since. If it dies on me I feel I have already got my moneys worth out of it, but it just keep ticking... and I don't play quietly.

My point being, don't rule out inexpensive class D power amps. They sound good, they are lightweight and have plenty of power.

A 2ch power amp would handle your cabs nicely and you would have seperate volumes to match the outputs. This is how I did it with a Fender 8x10" and a Mesa 2x15"

Now, I have since picked up a Mesa head. But I still use that cheap poweramp in the rig. The Mesa head powers the Mesa cab, the Behringer poweramp powers the Fender cab

3. Sponsored by:

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    You should be able to get a really nice Crest CA or QSC PLX for that price - I would personally prefer to get a top of the line used amp rather than something new but of lessor quality.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2009
    +1

the older PLX is a good choice (looking for one myself) because it has the settable filters on the back; kicking in the 50Hz filter increases headroom and saves speakers.

it's also reasonably light and (important) has volume knobs on the front; this makes it easy to set-and-forget the sansamp level to leave a consistent output for the mains, and just use the power amp's volume as your "stage volume" control.