Sansamp power amp set up?'s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RUDEONTOUR, Nov 30, 2012.

1. RUDEONTOUR

RUDEONTOUR

i have used sansamp preamps for years, thru traditional heads (g-k 800rb & SUNN1200s) and a few power amps, which is how i plan on continuing, and would like to hear some opinions on best power amps at an affordable price ($700 and under)
    i am running 2 cabs, a g-k neo 412 and a madison mab 412

2. Mykk

Mykk

Less than $700 can pick you up a nice power amp on the used market. Check out Ebay and Craigslist.

I picked up a cheap used power amp to get me out of a jam, a couple hundred bucks found me a Behringer Nu6000DSP. Fed by an Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp, I used it that weekend for a series of shows and have played countless rehearsals and several shows with it since. If it dies on me I feel I have already got my moneys worth out of it, but it just keep ticking... and I don't play quietly.

My point being, don't rule out inexpensive class D power amps. They sound good, they are lightweight and have plenty of power.

A 2ch power amp would handle your cabs nicely and you would have seperate volumes to match the outputs. This is how I did it with a Fender 8x10" and a Mesa 2x15"

Now, I have since picked up a Mesa head. But I still use that cheap poweramp in the rig. The Mesa head powers the Mesa cab, the Behringer poweramp powers the Fender cab

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    You should be able to get a really nice Crest CA or QSC PLX for that price - I would personally prefer to get a top of the line used amp rather than something new but of lessor quality.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1

the older PLX is a good choice (looking for one myself) because it has the settable filters on the back; kicking in the 50Hz filter increases headroom and saves speakers.

it's also reasonably light and (important) has volume knobs on the front; this makes it easy to set-and-forget the sansamp level to leave a consistent output for the mains, and just use the power amp's volume as your "stage volume" control.

5. Register to disable this ad