SansAmp RBI w/ tube power sections

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Discharge, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

Does anyone use this preamp with a tube power section?

I'm just wondering how much different it would sound with a SS vs a tube power section or does the drive emulator sound pretty similar no matter what?

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

Just curious, what all-tube power amp are you using?

3. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    There will be a tonal change and whether or not you perceive it as good or bad will have to do with your personal taste and the quality of the tube amp you run it through. I have not personally run our RBI through a tube amp but have run our Character pedals through tube amps and there is usually a nice tonal benefit.

Most tube guitar and bass amps aren't really designed to be "flat" like a solid state amp. Solid state amps are designed to be neutral and usually don't have a presence control. Our SansAmp products are equally happy going through either type of power section.

The only downside with tube amps and bass is that a 100 watt tube amp will pretty much be more than enough for any guitarist but for bass players in a loud situation a 100 watt tube power section may not provide enough clean headroom. Obviously you have tube amps like Mesa's, Ampegs, Rivera, etc. that are over 100 watts but they also tend to be much heavier than their more powerful solid state counterparts.

If you have a tube amp kicking around and you don't mind moving it, I say give it a go.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have a number of tube amps and have experimented with running my BDDI into the FX Return of almost all of them. Sounded good to me. If you want to take the pre/power amp approach SS will probably save you a lot of money. Tube power amps can be $$.

I really prefer tube power sections in general. I find that at loud enough volumes where the power tubes are on the edge of being driven some cool but subtle effects seem to emerge... saturation, slight compression, musical OD, etc. I dont have any soild state amps.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I've used my RPM in conjunction with an SVT-CL. It sounded OK and worked just fine as expected. I get a favorable tone from my RPM, though I'm thinking of going through a journey of preamps perhaps this year, just to see what else is out there. I'm not sure that the RPM is still my ideal setup.

7. Discharge

Discharge

So the tube power section still adds color, how much different is it than using a SS PS, very subtle.. or obvious?

I was just wondering if the SansAmp simulation would dominate the tone.

8. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Depends on the power amp you're using, and how you're using it.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to do this with a VT. The tone of the VT running through a tube amp improves the VT's sound, but you will get some compression from the VT (slight but noticeable) and you will get some high and low end rolloffs from the VT due to the speaker simulation. Through a SS amp the compression never really sounded all that noticeable to me, and whether I noticed the speaker sim depended almost entirely on the cab.

10. Discharge

Discharge

SVT300 Power amp

Sounds like it's no longer a part of your rig, what did you replace it with?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I had/have the VT Deluxe, and I replaced it with a micro AB switch from Loopmasters, a Barber Linden EQ for my upright, and either a 2-knob Greedtone Overdrive clone or a Joyo Ultimate Drive, depending on my mood. I still use it occasionally, and would likely use a regular VT as a dirt pedal sometimes if I still had one, but I didn't want compression on my electric or speaker sim on my upright anymore so all I was using the VTD for was a dirt pedal with 3 settings, so I streamlined.