Sansamp VT-Bass vs MXR M80

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by recode, Mar 31, 2014.

1. recode

recode

Hello guys. I know, im pretty anoying and there's a lot of topics about this. But i really dont know which pedal should i go. :c Some days ago i already was about to order MXR M80, but then i suddenly found topic here about VT-Bass and guys was talking that this is a very good think. M80 has a XLR output, but i dont really need that, i just like sound of this pedal, but when i saw VT-Bass i was completely amazed with its sound, i was sad, cuz i came up with nothing and im now deciding between those two pedals. I actully dont like Sansamp BDDI cuz it doesnt have mid control and blend is killing mid, but VT-Bass is way better. Im playing in two band so i need a pedal for to bands. In one i play metalcore and i other one pop-rock/alt. rock. I guess i dont really need a metal distortion, but i need grind for metalcore band and a little overdriven sound for alt. rock band. Which one should i go?
  2. hashtagbass

hashtagbass

This may seem off-topic, but for your needs I suggest that you go for the Darkglass B7k or a Darkglass B3k + VT Bass if your budget permits. :)
  3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

The VT can do pretty much anything the M80 can do and a lot more.

You might consider the VT Bass DI, it has a blend (more useful than you might think, with the right pedal) and a DI in case you ever decide that you need one. Plus all the features of the VT Bass and more.
  4. jarrah

jarrah

In terms of feature set the question should really be "Tech 21 VT Bass DI vs MXR M80 Bass DI+" :)
    BUT as you say you don't need some of those features, XLR out etc, the VT Bass is probably a better choice if only because it's likely to be cheaper and maybe have better resale value if you don't bond with it?
    I have the MXR M80, first gen VT Bass and the VT Bass DI and I use all 3 for different purposes.
    The MXR is pretty much a clean DI at the end of my pedalboard for covers and an original rock band I play in, little bit of extra EQ flexibility. You have to work around the mid-scoop when the distortion channel is activated or the colour button is on. I tend to leave the colour button on and crank the mids on the pedal (and amp) so theres not a huge difference when switching to the distortion channel. I don't use the distortion at very high gain settings and I set the blend nearly clean as the distortion isn't very good. I often run the VT Bass in front of the MXR for more tonal options with this rig.
    The VT Bass DI with a different pedalboard for my main band playing stoner rock/70's/psychedelic/kyussabbathy stuff. Great pedal, very flexible. It's basically a VT Bass in Sansamp Bass Driver DI format. I like this much better then the MXR, well worth the money.

And like the previous poster suggested, the Darkglass B7K might be worth looking into as well, especially for metalcore grind - Alt Rock overdrive? I have tried one of these and it wasn't for me, but they are a very good sounding pedal, super high quality.
    Hope this helps.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

You can use the B7K for metal or alt rock and it would work equally well in either genre, but it SOUNDS like you already like the VT bass.

Have SVT's been used in metal? Have they been used in alt-rock?

Then there's your answer.;)
  7. recode

recode

Guys, big thanks for your opinions. Unfortunately B7K is out of my budget, I know this pedal is awesome. I now have Eden WTDI and it sounds very good, but I need some dirt in my tone and I want to sound more like a tube amp. I think both M80 and VT bass are good for this, but seems like VT bass will be better choice for me, except if I will need xlr. VT bass di is also out of me budget. BTW how is quality of both pedals? And where are they made? USA? China?
  8. Guinness20

Guinness20

Do ratm count as metal? Fairly sure tim commerford uses an svt. I'm also considering the vt bass, as well as the vt bass di and the b7k. Play a stingray and looking to achieve this kind of sound, love it - . Might in the future get the b3k or b7k as a switch-up dirty od.
  9. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Later on, a B3K stacked into a VT Bass would be awesome. I've owned the Leeds, Oxford, and Liverpool btw - They've never been anything but reliable.
  10. High Camp

High Camp

I don't know about the M80, but I do know about the VT Bass.
    IMHO, the VT will do perfectly from Hardrock to Deathmetal.
    Why? Because it's versatile and it's got the grind you need.
    The Di and XLR options are IMO unimportant.
    If needed, the p.a. guys will provide a d.i. and I can't think of a situation where I needed a XLR option, really.
    And I have played 8000+ venues.