Saturday Night Live Band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Are there any recordings of the Saturday Night Live Band? Especially of the closing? Every time I watch SNL I'm amazed by the music these guys play, but I can't seem to find any cds.

2. Rick Rice

Rick Rice

good call there Phat ,I personally tune in the comedy channel at 6:55 weekdays just to hear that closing theme . Its been played by alot of different bassist over the years on that show and it always sounds great. Somebody help us out here

3. lo-end

lo-end

I dont know but GE Smith and T bone Wolk were in a band together back in the 80s before they were in the SNL band as the guitarist and bassist. You might wanna check that out (but the music probably sucks since its 80's pop)

4. Bassline1414

Bassline1414

Buddy Guy cut a live album with G.E. Smith and the Saturday Night Live Band I believe. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

I believe that little band was Hall and Oates.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

The guy that always impresses me is the alto sax player. I guess the alto position has been held by a few different guys over the years but they are all incredible.

8. hogani

hogani

Bass
    Bob Cranshaw (1975-1978),
    Marcus Miller (1978-1980),
    Neil Jason (1980-1983),
    Tom Barney (1983-1985, 1995-2000),
    Tom "T-Bone" Wolk (1985-1991),
    Paul Ossola (1991-1995),
    Tony Garnier (periodic, 1987-1989),
    Luico Hopper, Will Lee, Anthony Jackson, Tony Levin, Francisco Centeno, Mark Egan, Mark O'Connor, John Pattitucci, Tim Lefebre (fill ins).

9. JoBo-86

JoBo-86

:) thats cool hogani, didnt know marcus miller was with them at one time :) you can find the theme on napster or some program like it, or at least thats how i found it

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Yeah I found the opening theme a while back on Napster but I could never find the closing theme.

Hogani, you don't happen to know who the alto sax player is (were) do you? Someone told me before that it is (or was) Lenny Picketts from Tower of Power, but I'm not sure.

11. memphissound

memphissound

:) G.E. Smith recorded an album in the early 90's. I've got it and it's not too bad, he's not a vocalist but gives it a decent shot. SNL themes not included, mostly rhythm and blues standards.

12. hogani

hogani

Lenny Pickett (sp)? is indeed the alto saxophonist.

The trombonist, btw, who also occaisionally plays the conch,
    is Steve Turre.

The keyboardist is not Laurie Anderson, contrary to popular belief.

I recall reading articles about Marcus growing up in NYC; he went to that
    school for the arts, I think, and used to jam w/ Omar Hakim a lot.

And so, he played w/ David Sanborn, and was fantastic, and then I think
    took the SNL gig. And there was the Miles thing in there somewhere.

13. dpb

dpb

I thought Lenny Pickett only played the tenor sax??

DPB

14. StanFan

StanFan

Cool list. I remember reading in a Guitar World that Marcus was once in the band, but the fill-ins list is particularly interesting to me. Got a link to any more SNL band history?

15. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Taken from an fansite that no longer exists (http://web.archive.org/web/20040502023348/http://www.davemackey.com/snlband/):
    And here's the official NBC SNL Band site, with a little background: http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/exclusives/backstage/control_booth/house_band.shtml

16. bassist15

bassist15

Great band I wish they had a cd out too. They are always tight and play funky. James Genus is an awesome bassist. I had never heard of Tim Lefebre before I saw him playing with the band.....he was playing a vintage Fender P . I find it interesting that the tv bassists....GEnus , Lefebre , Will Lee all use Ampeg B15 amps. Lenny Pickett is a great sax player , there is a great of version of "What Is Hip" with a striped down version of TOP. Pickett , Rocco , Garibaldi , and a guitarist.

17. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I have a few SNL band CD's that were released through the years, the best one is the early 80's band where Pendarvis led with the rhythm section of Tom Barney/Buddy Williams. It has the SNL theme on it. It is on the Projazz and you might find it in used CD shops. They released a bunch of cool NY based music with great players like Will Lee, Gadd etc.