1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Saturdya night gigs for Jewish Bassists?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    We all understand about not playing on the Sabbath. That precludes a very many gigs as Friday Night and Saturday are key. What do you guys do about early Saturday night gigs? Do you have to, in some way, rationalize performing on Saturdays?

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    Don't you have to be practicing or orthodox for this to apply?

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I dunno, I hear a lot of guys at gigs that sound like they're practicing...

4. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

I totally play on Saturday... orthodox can't but for your average jew it really isn't a big deal. I don't feel it has to be rationalized per se, just spend time praying or w/e you normally do on the Sabbath and then rock in the evening. It's a different era now.

Just my $.02...

7. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    Nice one...

8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Never thought about this one! If fact I was in a jazz trio maybe 10 years ago that did an occasional Saturday night post-Shabbat social/mixer night at my old synagogue.

9. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

Saturday NIGHT is fine, Saturday DAY is not. Friday night is not.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to Band Management

11. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Right. Once the first star comes out I believe. I remember that scene in Frisco Kid with Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford where Gene's character has to wait to see a star before he can ride his horse.

12. Toptube

Toptube

I'm not religious, but I grew up in a 7th-day Adventist family. They observe Sabbath from Sundown Friday night until Sundown Saturday night.

They would even print the sundown times for the current and next week, in the church program they hand out when you go to church on Saturday.

The point is that sundown time is probably a better gauge than "the first star". Because A. some stars are visible before sundown and B. you can't always see stars, due to weather conditions.

13. natw42

natw42 Gold Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, it's when you can see three stars (tzeit ha'cochavim, the hebrew term, is plural not singular)

Personally, I'm not practicing so gigs on shabbat or a non-issue. The only issue I have is finding a baby sitter!

14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

From http://judaism.about.com/od/sabbathdayshabb2/f/shabbat_times.htm :

"Question: When does Shabbat begin and end each week?

"Answer: The Torah describes creation, "And there was evening, and there was morning, one day." Thus, according to Judaism, a new day begins in the evening, at sunset.

"The Jewish Sabbath (Shabbat), like all Jewish days, begins at sunset. Shabbat ends at nightfall, when three stars are visible, approximately 40 minutes after sunset.

"HebCal.com offers 1-Click Shabbat Candle Lighting Times so people can easily find when Shabbat begins and ends each week in their area."

http://www.hebcal.com/shabbat/

About the Shabbat ending when three stars are visible, see also: http://www.jewfaq.org/shabbat.htm
    and http://www.kveller.com/traditions/Shabbat/shabbat-basics.shtml

That's the textbook approach. Now, depending on the person being Orthodox, Observant, or Secular, that is up to the faith of the particular person, discussion of which is beyond this thread.

15. shwashwa

shwashwa

well, if its a gig in the community then it will start significantly after sundown because the people attending the function will need time to go home from shul, get dressed and ready, eat something that can be cooked etc, so gigs in the community usually factor in the time of sundown when setting the downbeat time. gigs outside the community? if you're orthodox you would probably have to miss some, not a big deal as someone who is orthodox has spent their whole life dealing with things like this. i believe this is why there are many bands who are composed of only orthodox members and play only orthodox functions, so they all deal with the same issues and can all make the same gigs. there is a killer disco/Israeli pop band here of orthodox only guys, looks like 4 rabbis getting down. dont forget, girls on one side of the curtain, men on the other. men dance with men (technically i dont think women should even be dancing but at the functions ive played they do, just on their own side)

16. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Shwashwa, do you remember what kind of bass he used. I'm thinking some sort of black and white Fender color scheme would go well with the traditional look.

17. shwashwa

shwashwa

no, i cant remember, sorry, i just remember that they were really good.

18. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

You know who else probably plays on Shabbat.
    Tony Levin
    Gene Simmons
    Mike Gordon
    Geddy Lee
    Avishai Cohen
    Harvey Brooks
    Danny Klein
    Kenny Aaronson
    Larry Taylor
    Jeff Berlin
    Feel free to add if I forgot anyone.

19. GlennW

GlennW

I don't gig on Shabbos!

20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

It depends on what you believe - if you don't know - just flip a coin.