1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Save our carpet!

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Darrenmcbass, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Darrenmcbass

Darrenmcbass

We have just got a new carpet and I'm worried about my end pin damaging it , any everyday item anyone can suggest that I put down that doesn't move but saves the carpet??

Thanks!!
  2. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    How about a square foot of half inch plywood with a matching section of carpet glued to the bottom?
  3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

4. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    I would say that the Xeros is good for gigging, but at home locating your spike in that little chevron is inconvenient. Rockstops, sorry, are basically useless. Always have been, especially if you sit. A throw rug basically works if you have a rubber tip, but it's still gonna slide a bit, and probably leave a mark in the carpet. If you want a solid solution for practicing at home, I'd look further. Personally, I'd just invest in a sanded and finished plywood rectangle big enough to accommodate both your stool and your endpin point.
  5. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Rob,

The OP doesn't state whether they play seated or standing.

I know what you mean about the Xeros being tricky to use but I've gotten used to it. Using it on carpet, especially with a deep pile is weird but "do able".

I never liked Rock Stops either but it is an alternative. I've seen many in use by bassists and cellists alike.
    There is a similar product that is a little silicone square- I've seen them advertised but not in use in any of the ensembles I play with.

The plywood sheet idea is interesting.

I suppose another option would be to replace the end pin with one that will allow a rubber foot to be attached.

Or this: http://www.gollihurmusic.com/produc...LL_ATTACHMENT_FOR_UPRIGHT_BASS_TIP_COVER.html

Joe
  6. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

I have one of the little rubber/silicone squares that I don't really use anymore. It worked for me better than a rockstop as it didn't slide. However it bounced a little bit, especially when playing hard pizz styles. That spring effect drove me nuts. Kind of like having your bass on a pogo stick.
  7. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    I stand sometimes, in which case a rubber stopper is enough on a wood floor, but does leave a mark on carpet. I mostly play seated with the bass at a fair angle, however. Here, I must either use my point or something like the Xeros to keep the bass from running away from me (I guess the bass knows something I don't!). In my last long term orchestra gig we had long narrow boards with a big hole on one end to go under a stool foot, and you could set your tip anywhere you wanted on the other end. This worked OK, but again it was a compromise.

If you want to have a proper practice space at home, you shouldn't entertain nonsense like this. You should be able to just sit down and play. No sliding or fishing for a fixture for your point. Perhaps just tell the wife "Honey, if you wanted pristine carpets, you shouldn't have married a bass player";)
  8. Darrenmcbass

Darrenmcbass

Thanks for the help everyone , I found a piece of rubber used for packaging and so far so good! Thanks for your help , great resource!
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

I use that little rubber ball ... got it at Gollihur ... protects carpets and hard floors.