1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Sax player/wannabe Bass player!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by SaxyBassist, Dec 26, 2013.

1. SaxyBassist

SaxyBassist

Dec 26, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm a Sax (and flute) player/teacher/performer - mainly jazz/pop/rock etc. I love my Sax but inside lurks a wannabe bass player.

I started a couple of years ago on a cheapy online own brand bass which I played for a few months then gave up as it was too heavy for me (I'm a bit of a weak weedy older female lol!). I only picked it up occasionally since then, but recently treated myself to an Ibanez SR300 and I love it!

I've really got stuck in now and with lots of expert advice from fellow local bass playing muso friends (including Fergie who posts on here *waves*!) I feel I'm really starting to get somewhere now and hope to get out to a jam soon.

My passion is for fusion and funk but that's just tad advanced for me right now ;) so am sticking with playing fairly simple stuff and some blues - walking bass lines seem to come fairly naturally as I play a lot of scales and arpeggios when I practice.

This time I fully intend to stick with as I have no excuse to stop! I have a TC Electronics BG 250 combo amp, the bass sounds great, and it's light enough not to hurt my shoulder :D

Lorna :D

2. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    Great little combo. What size speaker?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Welcome to TB and bass. You will most likely find more work
    playing bass than sax.
    2 of my buddies are accomplished sax players and hardly ever work lately.

5. SaxyBassist

SaxyBassist

Dec 26, 2013
    Hi, I don't know! sorry I'm a techno numpty - will go and have a look :)

6. SaxyBassist

SaxyBassist

Dec 26, 2013
    Hi MrLenny - I hope so that would be great if ever I can get good enough!! - I've had a fair bit of work on the sax this year but mainly function band horn sections which is not what I want I really want to be doing on the sax - also am in a Floyd tribute but don't really feel fulfilled playing 4 numbers in a gig - pay is good though :D :D

7. SaxyBassist

SaxyBassist

Dec 26, 2013
    Hi bassman it's 15" :D

8. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013

That's a perfect little funk amp there. Use the tone print for compression. Set the gain to 5. Bass to 2 mids to minus 2 treble to 3. And thump away.

9. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    IMO of course. Not saying that's law lol

10. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    I use the spectra comp. personally

11. SaxyBassist

SaxyBassist

Dec 26, 2013
    Cool thanks!

12. SaxyBassist

SaxyBassist

Dec 26, 2013
    How do you get that and what is it? :meh:

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    You may want to check my TB Wiki page (link below) for lots of great bass info.

Good Luck!

14. SaxyBassist

SaxyBassist

Dec 26, 2013
    Thanks will do! :D

15. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013
    I have an IPhone or Android device?

16. Bassman1971

Bassman1971

Nov 4, 2013