1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SBMM Sterling Ray 34 Questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigscore1000, Feb 26, 2014.

1. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

Guys...

I really want to pick up 1 of these but i have a few questions regarding the 34 and 34CA models.

1. Is the 3 band Ray 34 also have the "slab body" design like the 34CA?

2. Is the Norstrand MM 4.2 pickup a "direct" replacement for either bass?

3. 2 band vs 3 band - Does either have the more "traditional" Stingray sound?

Thanks
  2. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

1. No the 3 band has the body contours. Also the nut is wider more of P width than a J width.

2. Looks like it is. I have a Ray35 and am quite happy with the electronics I didn't feel the need to change anything. Only mod I made to mine was strap locks.

3. The 2 band in the 34CA is considered to be the more "traditional" Stingray preamp because the 2 way and 3 way are voiced different. I'd suggest finding a store that has both and compare them back to back.

Both are great basses you can't lose either way! :bassist: