SBMM SUB Ray 4 - vibration issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twc1313, Jan 7, 2014.

1. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

Hey guys, I love my SUB (I have two) and have noticed on my Mint Green one I'm getting a buzz/vibration down in the bridge when I play my A string. It isn't fret buzz because I've done a full set up on it. Likewise, I play the a string and let the buzz sound happen and try to stop it. I've put an allen wrench in all the saddle screws, pushed down on everything, muted the springs on the posts, and nothing will stop the vibration. Could it be the string doing this?

2. truckin88

truckin88 Supporting Member

you are sure it is not the nut causeing it?

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Had this on another bass (not the Sub), it was driving me nuts and it did seem to emanate from the bridge. However, totally by fluke I discovered it was the tuner post for that particular string wasn't tightened. Vibration would go down the length of the string so it sounded like it came from somewhere near the bridge. I would check that and also check for loose screws.

4. topo morto

topo morto

have you pushed down on the length of string between the nut and the tuning post? It's common for the break angle for the A string to be too shallow to keep it hard in the nut slot.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. twc1313

tightened all screws including tuners, pickgaurd, etc. pushed the string down above the nut, vibration just went up in pitch. adjusted intonation screws. still vibrating

it is under the 30day warrenty for GC, gonna take it back and wait till they get me a new Mint Sub

7. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Could be one of the adjustment springs on the bridge rattling. Touch them and see of that stops it.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

9. exidor

exidor

every now and then on my walnut satin if I've been playing exceptionally hard it will get buzzy with a open D what makes it stop (for me) is to take my thumb and first finger put them on top of the E saddle and the bottom of the G saddle and give a small squeeze & I'll feel them all touch together then It's good.there is a small amount of wiggle room between the saddles on mine (& maybe yours).I've thought about putting my extra hipshot bridge on it but then it won't look as Sting Rayie.

10. twc1313

thanks, gonna give this a try

11. twc1313

Also going to give this a shot

12. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I had a similar issue. It was one saddle just barely touching another. I separated the saddles and the buzzing went away.

13. exidor

exidor

yeah that would work,the E & G strings have shallow channels that the height adjusters rest in & you have some wiggle room to separate a small amount or push the saddles together.