Scale length/feel of the Dingwall Super J5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmad_bass, Nov 17, 2012.

1. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Given the fanned fret thing...this question may be kind of weird. Growing up, I loved the Fender Jazz basses. In the mid 80's I got a Factor. I love the feel/scale length of that bass...and it was my main axe till about 99 or so when I got a 76 J Bass. I dig the J but really like the feel and navigability of the Factor. It just fits my hand better.

Regarding the Dingwall Super J5, for those of thou who have or have tried, does this feel like a small scale bass, a regular/large scale bass (due to the fanning) or does it really depend on where you are/what string you are on?

With regards to my preference for the playability of my Factor...I'm sure some a good bit has to do with it's weight, as it is lighter than the J, which is pretty heavy, especially in the headstock. The Super J 5 sounds like it is pretty light over...which is good for me.

Sorry to be so lengthy.

My interest is in tone/s and playability. Was thinking of going with a Lakeland or the Super J. Guessing the Lakeland feels bigger/heavier? Any thoughts on the two options would be appreciated as well.

Contemplating ordering the J5 from Bass Central (unless anyone has a Black one for sale)....just a little nervous about how the fanned fret thing is in reality. Just about everyone seems to state that it's not a big deal.

Thanks,

-PM
  2. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

on the super j and p series, the fanning isn`t as pronounced. very natural and easy to play
    also, the scale range is 32-35 and is by no means large. i have small, injured hands and my super p is a joy to navigate on.
  3. Oracle

Oracle Banned

I have a super J 5 and the neck feels just perfect :)
  4. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Banned

Feels like a fanned bass...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

the super j also comes with DW super fatties PU`s which are, IIRC, very dynamic and responsive to how hard you dig in.
  7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Oh man, you just missed a deal on a black SJ-5 (sold yesterday) in the classifieds here. Don't let the fanned frets hold you back. It will fit your hand better than the Factor as it is more ergonomic by design. Since the bodies are chambered, the five strings weigh in the 8 1/2 pound neighborhood. One of Sheldon's obsessions is balance - these balance perfectly. I had a nice 55-94 years ago, but it was one of the first victims to be sacrificed to fund DAS (Dingwall Acquisition Syndrome) after I bought a five string AB-1.
  8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Ergonomics alone are reason enough to go Dingwall.

They are well built and sound awesome, but will over the long term help prevent wrist issues if you are prone to them.
  9. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. Though my fate is likely sealed (i.e. will be getting one)...keep the posts coming.