1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Scale length

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vcell, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Vcell

Vcell

Albums:
    I measured from the nut to the bridge (I think that's how you do it, right?) of my Aria TSB-350 and Aria FEB-02 (the acoustic). The TSB-350 measures 32.5" and the FEB-02 measures 34". Just an inch and a half difference. But WOW does it ever make a world of difference. The acoustic seems HUGE in my hands. A real stretch from playing the electric.

Does anyone else have the same experience? Or am I just nutz?!

Attached Files:

2. ddhm

ddhm

If you are measuring correctly (and I think you are) your electric is a short scale bass. Your acoustic is a standard scale.

Depending on the player, scale can be a BIG thing. I prefer 35 inch scale instruments.

3. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

"just an inch and a half difference. But WOW does it ever make a world of difference"

thats what she said

4. Actually 32.5" scale would be considered MEDIUM scale not SHORT scale. Shorties revolve around the 30" scale length and mediums around 32". And it is always easier to measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it to be exact. The slight differences in the bridge saddle placement can be confusing when measuring.

Here is a short scale superimposted over a medium scale which is superimposed over a long scale for reference:

[​IMG]

Best of luck!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Acoustics always feel bigger because the body is so much thicker. You have to reach farther to get to the strings. Plus the bridge is farther from the end of the body. Put the scale difference on top of that, and yeah, it's going to feel a lot bigger.

7. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

There are notes that just magically disappear in the bands's mix on a long scale 34' bass...and I don't mean the neck's dead spots. Not a problem with a medium scale.

I think the short scale basses sound out of place sometimes.

8. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    You can definitely feel the difference between a 34" and a 30" scale. The frets a noticeably further apart on the long scale, especially at the low end of the neck (closer to the nut)
    However; most players have no problem transitioning between the two after a short time of familiarization.

9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    :eyebrow: I've never heard of any such nonsense.

10. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Either it does make a world of difference or we're both nutz.

11. Vcell

Vcell

Albums:
    Yeah. It does. It feels huge. I play my right hand at the fretboard instead of the soundhole. Oy!

12. Vcell

Vcell

Albums:
    Okay, so... measuring from the nut to the 12 and doubling, the electric is 32" and the acoustic is 34". Nice tip. Thanks.

13. Vcell

Vcell

Albums:
    Ahhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha -inhaaaale- ahhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

14. Vcell

Vcell

Albums:
    I think you're right on both counts! Lol. :rolleyes:

15. Wallace320

Wallace320

Down to the subject matter

I don't have problems with short scales (Fender Precision jr. and Ibanez Mikro share a 28,60" scale) while I sure prefer 34" on every bass of mine but Ibanez Btb 7 stringer, which is 35"

I do have problems with 32" scale basses and that's strange;)

Cheers,
    Wallace

16. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Carl Thompson says on one of his youtube vids, to measure a half fret past the 12th for real scale length.