1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Schaller 496... Off center?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TDSLaBassiste, Feb 12, 2014.

1. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

I just got all the hardware for my bass and I got a Schaller 496 5 string. And it's extremely off center. The G string hangs off the fretboard. Any fix to this besides doweling the old holes and drilling new ones?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Depends what bridge you're replacing and the hole pattern. Looking at the 496, the pattern is not centered to start with:

https://www.warmoth.com/Assets/ProductImages/S496B_L.jpg

You'll need to re-position and drill, baby, drill fit if that's the case.

Edit: the roller bridge saddles offer some lateral compensation but it may not be nearly enough.

Riis

3. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

Yeah, the saddles don't offer nearly enough to compensate. I can roll the G all the way towards the middle and it's still sitting on the edge of the fretboard. Well damn, I wasn't planning on doing this, but I guess I have to redrill

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, 'fraid so. The pattern shifts the entire assembly waaaay towards the treble side....or so it appears.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad