1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Schaller BML light tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TDSLaBassiste, Jan 31, 2014.

1. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

I'm looking for a set of tuners and these caught my eye. I notice they don't have a screw to set them in place, but have two small pins that you have to drill pilot holes that they sit in to anchor the tuner in place. Has anyone installed these before? How difficult is it to drill the pilot holes correctly and are they actually strong enough to stand up against the pressure of the strings?

2. beate_r

beate_r

I would consider drilling them first, before the main holes. You are aware that the BM light need unusually large main holes (17 mm) ?

Dunno, but never heared complaints from other DIY collegues.

3. Bergi

Bergi

I installed some Fender made by Schaller tuners on my bass and it wasn't really fun. It's going to be a lot easier if you have a drill press and if the bushings are the same exact size as the hole in the headstock (the holes on mine was slightly larger (1mm)). If you want I have a scaled diagram of the pins' pattern on my tuners. I can send it to you if you have the same keys. If you drill at the wrong place, you can enlarge the hole and take some hot glue to make a "washer" so that the key doesn't move. (Faster and easier than wood dust and glue).

4. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

Well I did not know this, that presents an issue.

EDIT: I'm just going with the Gotoh's. I know they're decent, I know they'll fit, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bergi

Bergi

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

I have had a new set of Grover tuners on my bass for about a month. They are a direct replacement for Fender's. I have an 04 American deluxe J V. These tuners are a direct fit for all the models that use the two round nubs that fit into holes on the back of the headstock. These look very similar to the light weight black nylon or plastic ones on the American deluxe models but I put them up to the chrome model with the "F" on the back, and they fit that as well. So these might just fit most all of the Fender basses going back to the early 2000's.
    I find I like these even more than the direct Fender replacements and are the either the same weight or lighter.

These are the 143 series Grover tuners. Looks like they come in chrome, gold, and black. I put the whole set on in just a few minutes. Nice new product.

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Just wanted to update my original post about these tuners. I'm totally happy with the Grover's. I think they're better than the stock Fender tuners even though they look almost exactly the same. They feel better and seem to hold tuning very well. I was going to get Hipshot or Fender lite tuners but I honestly think these worked out better.