1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Schaller Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SRCRS, Jan 26, 2013.

1. SRCRS

SRCRS

Simple question, anybody ever use pickups made by Schaller? If so, what was your experience like with them?

2. SRCRS

SRCRS

I'm gonna assume that's no then. haha

3. Stuart Hmm

Stuart Hmm

I have a set of PBX & JBX pups on my bass. Basicaly, they're copies of Dimarzio model P & model J. I'm pretty satisfied.

4. SRCRS

SRCRS

Thanks! I was beginning to think that no TBer's had ever used a Schaller pickup. Do they seem to be constructed pretty well?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. abemo

abemo

I've never used their pups, but I've used schaller tuners and I've taken a close look at their bridges, everything I've seen from them has been top notch.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I used to use them back in the 80s. Some are copies of DiMarzios, and the others are fairly standard Fender types. They are fine sounding pickups.

8. SRCRS

SRCRS

Thanks for the input guys. What really drew my attention was their one pup that looked like a Wal bass copy with the adjustable Allen wrench pole pieces. Do you have any knowledge of that pick up Dave?

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    That's the Schaller 232 Bassbucker, which is a copy of the no longer made DiMarzio Model G. "G" means guitar humbucker size.

The Model G was DiMarzio's X2N guitar pickup, but with the blades removed and eight hex screws used for poles. The bobbins had the slots for the blades. It's wound about 15k and sounds like mud IMO. Very midrange heavy.

I had one in my eight string bass. I didn't like it. I ended up installing blades and putting it in a guitar.

The Schaller version was wound the same. I had a Kramer Duke that had one of them. I ended up rewinding it to be clearer sounding.

Here's the Schaller.

http://guitar-pickups.biz/hp135071/Bass-Humbucker.htm

[​IMG]

The spec sheet:

http://guitar-pickups.biz/download/C260e2afeX12a1e87b2d3XY2bd/TA_EB_EINBAU_Bassbucker.jpg

10. SRCRS

SRCRS

11. raslroy

raslroy

I've got a schaller p/u in one of my basses and have no issues with the sound it produces

12. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

A bassist compared j pups on youtube a while ago: Schaller, Fender CS, etc. The Schallers sounded pretty good. Sorry, can't remember the site.

13. SRCRS

SRCRS

Thanks guys, Jay, i'll have to google it

14. Meddle

Meddle

Didn't Carl Thompson use them in early basses?

15. bassclef112

bassclef112

I have a couple of these in my LP bass, and though not quite mud they are very mid heavy. One is a DiMazio G and the other is a Schaller 232. They are for all intents and purposes identical. I wouldn't mind a little more high end clarity in them.

I also have a bass with a Schaller P/J setup and I would compare them (again) directly with DiMarzio's P and J.

16. Cadfael

Cadfael

We were talking about the Kramer (USA) "The Duke" of the 1980s.
    This was the time when instruments from Kramer, Schecter and Charvel were "100%" made in USA and not "somewhere in Asia" (not wanting to abuse Asians!!!) ...

It seems, that the special "Double J 4-coil" pickup of The Duke with its tricky coil assembly was made by Schaller ...

In the 1980s were only two real alternatives to DiMarzio (in Germany) if you wanted a high quality "non-Fender" pickup: Schaller and Rockinger.
    I chose Rockinger. The former owner of Rockinger now is the boss of "Duesenberg" ...

I think Schaller PUs are as good as Schaller tuners bridges or strap locks ...

17. SRCRS

SRCRS

Awesome, i was wondering about their quality since i've always heard of their bridges and tuners, but never their pickups.

18. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    You can try wiring them up in parallel. It helps brighten them up.

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Odd... I answered this and the post is gone!

The early Dukes used a single Schaller Bassbucker. The later Dukes had a dual J quad coil looking pickup. Basically two of their Model J copies.

Here was the Duke I had (belongs to someone else now). It was an aluminum neck USA Kramer.

[​IMG]

20. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    My Foundation S came with Schaller pickups from the factory.

21. bassclef112

bassclef112

Thanks Dave. Good advice - I'll have to check with my tech as to how he did them. I left it to him as they had different wire colors and I'm not much for it myself.