Schaller Strap locks; loose pins

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ezmar, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I have schallers, and the strap pins, especially the upper horn one, keeps getting loose, and it's now at the point where it no longer tightens completely.

How can I fix this? Bigger screw? Adhesive? Don't want my pin falling out.

Thanks.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Take out the screw. Get some elmers glue and tooth picks. Cut 1 to 3 pieces of tooth picks and put it in the hole with glue. Put the screw back in and let it dry for a day or so.

This will fix the problem most of the time.

Another solution ... drill a new hole.
  3. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372 Supporting Member

i often just get a wooden skewer like you'd cook with. and break it off so its flush in the whole and then i screw the screw back in.
  4. Ezmar

Ezmar

If I put some extra wood in, what's to stop the same thing from happening again later?

And how can I fix the issue of the strap pins working themselves loose?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ERIC31

ERIC31

I had Schallers and I think they suck. Get some Dunlop Strap Locks. Much better IMO.
  7. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Switch to Dunlop Straploks..The Schaller design is inherently flawed because the motion of the body pin swiveling in the Schaller strap 'cradle' causes the body pin to unscrew itself all the dang time..
  8. drews.anderson

drews.anderson

Been using schallers for 25 years. For some basses I did the toothpick once. They neve got loose again.
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the wood glue is what fixes the issue.

crank the screw in while the glue is still wet, and everything dries nice and strong.
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

This...

- georgestrings
  11. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Schaller now has replacement screws that go deeper. There are other Schaller copies that also come with longer screws. I saw several in cool colors on Musicians Arsenal.
  12. Kerry_King

Kerry_King

Disclosures:
    Artist Relations: Get'm Get'm/LOXX USA
    I also have never had any issues with loose screws after the toothpick method. It works great.
  13. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Just toothpicks and glue. The glue will lock that screw in place and it will never come loose on you. Schallers are great, but sometimes require this toothpick trick. And locktite on the nut that attaches the strap to the locking mechanism is a good idea.

If you decide to ditch them, don't do the dunlops. They aren't any more reliable than schallers. You'd still have the issue of the screws loosening, and you would have the extra hassle of having to periodically oil the locking mechanism to keep it from seizing.
  14. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

Not to bash anyone, I've used Schallers for over 40 years, One broke, pin just stuck. Loose screws are just the way it is, happens to every nut, bolt, screw of any and all kinds, learn to deal! A few toothpicks some Elmers, get a longer screw for christ sake,
    And try not to break anything
  15. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

I just use hard wooden toothpicks with my Schallers, no glue, no problems.
  16. bassman.bob

bassman.bob

Same happened to me, I used fiberglass resin on the tooth picks. It's been several years and no loosening.
  17. Russell L

Russell L

I think any strap lock can do this. It's true, though, that it's the action of the cradle moving that makes the pin follow the path of least resistence, that is, unscrewing itself. I have had it happen repeatedly on my Jazz Bass Special, which is made of basswood. But, the harder alder of my American Jazz has never done it. I have fixed the basswood with toothpicks and glue more than once. So far, so good this time, but I'm sure it will happen again. At that point I will probably go without strap locks.

Something that might help would be to lubricate the cradle with teflon or graphite, but you would have to keep up with it.